Bread and butter proven good recipe any body got one?

beemer94

Sprout
Reaction score
I am looking for a proven and good recipe for bread and butter pickles. anybody have one to share? i just got done doing a batch up and I don't know, I think I just wasted my time and money. They just don't smell like they should and don't really have a taste. Thank goodness I got the cucumbers free but hey, it's all hit and miss when you are just starting out again.
OOPS, should of been in another area and not this one.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here is my recipe that was previously posted in the canning and preserving catagory. I've used this one for years, and so has my mom and my grandma did before her passing. For all I know, she got this one from my great-grandma. Keep in mind that it takes about a week to get the pickles "cured."

Blu's B&B pickles (grandma's recipe)

4 qts. sliced cucumbers about 1/8 inch thick
1/2 c. pickling salt
Ice cubes
2 qts. sliced white onions
1 qt. vinegar
4 c. sugar
1 Tbl. celery seeds
2 Tbls. mustard seeds
1 tsp. finely chopped garlic (I added this, grandma hated garlic)
1 tsp. tumeric (optional) (we NEVER used tumeric as nobody in the family likes it, but it is a classic ingredient in these pickles)
1/2 tsp. white pepper (optional) we just use ground black pepper

Gently stir salt into the sliced cucs. Cover with ice cubes; let stand 2-3 hours or until cucs are crisp and cold. Add more ice if it melts. Drain; add onions.

Combine remaining ingredients; bring quickly to a boil and boil for 10 minutes.

Add cucs and onions and bring to boiling point. Pack at once in hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch of headroom. Make sure to wipe the rim with a damp paper towel before putting on the lids and rings. Finger tighten the rings and process the jars in boiling water bath (212F) for 30 minutes.

Remove jars from canner and complete seals unless closures are self-sealing type. Makes 8 pints.

Latest posts