Broad beans nearly ready for Bruchetta!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow It has been so hot today & because we had heavy rain a few days ago the veggies have gone crazy. I will be eating my broad beans pretty soon from the look of the pods.
I make a bruchetta with beans (barely cooked) & garlic with bits of salami mixed in at the end with some rocket leaves, served on toasted bread which you rub with fresh garlic. It's food of the gods but everyone has to eat it otherwise you can be pretty unpopular......!! I dribble good virgin olive oil over the garlic bread before I pile on the beans etc. If you are vegetarian use thin slivers of Parmesan cheese instead of the salami.........SO GOOD :celebrate You just need a glass or two of good red wine with it -- a perfect quick snack on a very hot evening after a day gardening & while you are waiting for the main dish to cook on the BBQ.

Have a great weekend & enjoy your gardens. :rainbow-sun :rainbow-sun :rainbow-sun

:rose Hattie :rose

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh yum, that sounds good, Hattie!!!! Thanks for giving a vegetarian option too!

I think my beans are almost there too . . . how will I know? I have never grown them before and I was just starting to wonder.

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh my :p You are making me so Hungry Ms Hattie, Are you saving some for me? I love bruchetta I Love it with fresh tomato, chives , garlic and cheese toasted Oh goodness. :th And I am stuck here at the office till after 9pm this evening :barnie

Oh well something to plan for tomorrow :woot

:happy_flower Karan :D

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi DrakeMaiden! :frow

Ah! that's the question! As I like to eat them young & tender I pick the pods around 5-6 inches long & cook the whole thing -- beans in pod; then take the beans out! Southern Europeans do this but Northerners tend to wait till they are larger & shuck the beans,then cook. I'm not keen on this as the skin round the bean itself goes stiff & slightly bitter -- to my taste anyway!! ;)

Hope that helps :happy_flower

:rose Hattie :rose

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi Hattie!

Thanks for the more detailed information. I have also been cruising around cyber space looking for more info. I might be a little late on mine, in terms of getting to them while they are still pea-like, but if so I will just dry them and use them that way or save the seed. I just need to check them . . . some are farther along than others.

I hope your bruchetta turns out as yummy as it sounds. :)

Latest posts