Broccoli Planted

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grew broccoli last fall and *nothing* touched it. Perfect leaves, perfect heads of broccoli. (And sooooo much better than what you get in the store.)

Maybe it's a spring vs. fall thing, there certainly are a lot more bugs out this time of year!

I have a handful of plants in the garden now doing their thing. They're not very impressive at the moment compared to the huge plants in the fall, but I remain hopeful. :)

-Wendy

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
mamato3 said:
Know you guys have me worried. Were growing broccoli for the first time this yr we all love broccoli. But if i see worms i will be sick :sick. Not sure i will be able to eat it.
Be glad you read this thread before you ate your first head of broccoli! ;) It is not a pleasant sight, seeing those critters floating in the boiling water, but better there than in your tummy (IMHO).

I was forewarned by a gardening neighbor when I lived in VT, otherwise I would've had NO idea...

journey, let us know if you successfully keep them off this year. :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
wsmoak said:
I grew broccoli last fall and *nothing* touched it. Perfect leaves, perfect heads of broccoli. (And sooooo much better than what you get in the store.)

Maybe it's a spring vs. fall thing, there certainly are a lot more bugs out this time of year!
I've heard that fall planting can give you that advantage. I've got it marked on my calendar that the white moths first appeared in my garden last year around May 21st. They didn't leave until every last broccoli plant was ripped out and thrown to the chickens. :/

I am so intent on putting the garden to bed in the fall (cover cropping) that I usually don't put in many fall crops, but I think I will have to give that a try. It makes sense! Maybe I'll stick a few broccoli plants in a raised bed out of the way.

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Broooli+4-4-11+005.jpg

Please excuse any gunk on the window it needs cleaned and any cat hair, Rex (one of my cats) has taken to trying to sleep on or next to the flat. Strangely the older seeds are doing better then the younger so far and a over crowded.

bootstrap

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I started a flat of broccoli this year but between the moths and the rabbits it is usually a loosing venture. I tried raab last year for the first time and didnt have very good results there either. I think I planted the raab too early.

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Last year was the first time I tried growing broccoli. It was starting to bolt about the time the bugs found it, so at least I didn"t have extra protien! Hopefully it will be the same this year.

Just wanted to comment on what tough little plants they are. Right after I got mine into the garden last month, life went straight to you-know-where. Today was the first time in almost a month that I made it into the garden, fully expecting to see dead stuff. Was shocked to see that everything but the strawberries are not only alive, but thriving...in spite of no water, temps between 20 & 90, and wind speeds that would do a wind tunnel proud.

Yeah spring garden!!

Latest posts