Broccoli recommendations

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would love to grow broccoli in my garden, but the last time I did this the plants were absolutely huge. I can't justify 3 feet of my garden being taken up by huge spreading leaves for a single head of brocolli. I've been looking at raab and other options for smaller broccoli, but just wondered if anyone can recommend which one will have the most compact habit.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't grow a compact broccoli variety, AMK'. I would guess that there may be one. I do grow an earlier maturing type each year and have "sacrificed" the lateral buds by taking the plants out in July. That's what happens with the early heading cabbage, after the harvest out they come. Often, so that a late planting of summer squash can grow in that space.

Be aware that Broccoli Raab isn't a broccoli. It's in the turnip family like Bok Choy. Broccoli is in the cabbage family like, umm, like Cauliflower!

I like Broccoli Raab and grew it this year. I like bok choy and have it every year. (btw: I don't think either one tastes much like turnips.) And yes, broccoli raab's flavor is similar to broccoli.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I cannot help you with compact habit. I agree, they can really spread out. But I don't just get a single head of broccoli. After you take that single head out, the plant continues to produce shoots. The heads on these shoots do not get very big but they keep producing. I generally get more total broccoli from these shoots than from the original single head.

Latest posts