Bromeliad... am I doing it right?

hjsullivan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi there!

I one of my work plants is a Bromeliad, pictured here :).

It doesn't seem to be growing. I'm watering once a week, soil holds moisture pretty well. Tag says 1-2 hours of indirect sunlight a day. It's in my desk about 15 feet away from a whole wall of north facing windows. It's generally MUCH brighter in here than it looks right now lol. It's a rainy/cloudy day out. Doesn't seem to be doing as well as the one I gifted my mom.

What am I doing wrong lol?
Also, is it neccessary to groom these things?
And how do I do that?

thanks!
h

IMG_2292.JPG
IMG_2293.JPG
IMG_2294.JPG

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Guzmania - one of the most heat-loving bromeliads. Optimum winter temperature - about 68 the F, in summer to 82,4 F. Guzmania light-requiring, and place them on the western windows, protect from direct sunlight. Watering moderate in winter. Spring and summer (during growth) - abundant with spraying the leaves. When watering is necessary to fill the rosette of leaves with water. But then pour the excess water. Guzmania loves moist air. Partly it absorbs water from the environment, not only from the soil. The most optimum level is 60-85%.
Guzmania suffer from fungal diseases caused by high humidity and ambient temperature. If excessive watering can rot the roots, reduce watering and pour water into the leaf rosette.
It grows in a special soil for Bromeliad. If you buy ready-mix, then on the package should be written: For Bromeliad.
Grown in pots, and baskets (10-12 cm) in a mixture of ground roots and sphagnum fern (3: 1). Or land a mixture of peat (fibrous), charcoal, sod of earth and sand (1: 1: 0.5: 0.5). You can use a mixture of shredded bark hvoinyh, sphagnum moss, peat with the addition of pieces of charcoal.
Perhaps the problem with moisture or watering.
Your Guzmania prepares to bloom. Then she dies. I think in the photo has already seen a young plant, which will grow and replace the old one.
Check more stock spider mite, just in case.

Last edited: