Broody hen

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
As if I don't have enough eggs in the incubator, now one of my hens has gone broody. Rather than fight with a 5 pound crazy thing that keeps making pterodactyl noises at me when I try to move her I just marked the eggs she's sitting on and let her keep them. If every egg I have in the 'bator or under the hen hatches that will be 72, plus the 25 babies in the brooder. :th

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
:gig
wait a little longer and you'll probably have a few more hens going broody on you! it's not fun being screamed/growled at from every angle when you walk into you coop! :lol: how many hens do you have btw?

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have 15 right now. I had 35 but between the hawks, the dogs, and every other predator around here I've lost most of them. So I guess it's good I have so many eggs. My hubby says my limit is 200, at which point we'll be going to the local farmer's market to sell eggs.

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I own the broodiest hen in the world. She's a Partridge Bow Lake hen, and she even went broody last november on a two month old decoy egg... less than 12 mintues after finding it.

And now she's prooving herself so broody she's somewhat difficult to breed... Lay one egg, brood it for 2 days, get broken up by farmer, lay another egg, brood on it for 3 days, get broken up by farmer.

That's right folks, one chick at a time! :lol:

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I had one Buff Orp that layed her first egg in a basket on my back porch and then went broody for 9 weeks. I took the babies as they hatched and then just put new ones under her. She finally stopped when a dog got into the basket and ate all the eggs (on day 20 I might add, I was so angry.)

MuranoFarms

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The Mama Chicken said:
I had one Buff Orp that layed her first egg in a basket on my back porch and then went broody for 9 weeks. I took the babies as they hatched and then just put new ones under her. She finally stopped when a dog got into the basket and ate all the eggs (on day 20 I might add, I was so angry.)
Awww, that's so sad! All that work and she didn't get to keep any babies :hit

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Collector said:
Was it your own dog or a random stray dog? Poor thing had alot of time into those eggs.
It was my dog. If it had been a stray I would have shot it, I actually considered shooting him anyway but then I cooled down. He's great with the kids and really sweet, but he can't resist running chickens (he has a high prey drive) or eggs. I've tried to find him a new home but no one wants him.

Latest posts