Brown/yellow streaks on African Violet

Blueberry Acres

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Why does my African Violet have this weird pattern of brown/yellow on its leaves?

It did have a tiny bug infestation a few months ago, which I posted about and found they were harmless. I killed them anyway. https://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/tiny-bugs-on-african-violet-pots.25409/

I just found more of the same bugs on it yesterday. What’s going on?

IMG_0064.jpeg

IMG_0065.jpeg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Looks like leaf miners of some kind to me.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
as a kid i had all sorts of house plants but african violets were one that i did not get into. i think it was because it was obvious even at a rather early age that consistency and stability were not traits my parents exhibited (and while i can be consistent in limited quantities it isn't my strongest suit either).

that's just a long way of me saying that i'm sorry i don't have any experience to draw on with this one.

my incllination would be to discard them and start over with completely fresh plants. i would also clean around the area where they are at if you put the new plants in the same location the previous plants were at. (it may also be a hint that the previous location wasn't the best for them, but i don't know about that for sure)...

i don't like giving up, but sometimes it's just the best answer to something that i would otherwise sink a ton of time into and then in the end still have to get rid of the plants. the other version would be to remove them from their pots, clean up and sterilize, replace potting soil, rinse off roots really well, divide into multiple sections, remove most of the leaves and then see if any recover, insectisidal soaps, sprays, monitoring... um, nope, i don't have time for that now... ugh... yes, see, no real help from me on this one... (can you tell i'm not really awake yet? :/ )

Latest posts