Brussel Sprouts look like heads of cabbage-what I discovered yesterday

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have never grown them before and the plants have been in the ground since March. They look more like heads of cabbage than Brussel Sprouts. Right now they are 14 to 16 inches tall.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Awesome. I love brussel sprouts. If you have too many you can send me some.

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
obsessed said:
Awesome. I love brussel sprouts. If you have too many you can send me some.
So do I but they don't look like I thought they would at this stage. Have you ever grown them before? Do they look like cabbages before they look like sprouts?

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The sprouts look like tiny cabbages, and the stalks are pretty stout.
THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
dickiebird said:
The sprouts look like tiny cabbages, and the stalks are pretty stout.
THANX RICH
But there isn't a stalk it just looks like a small head in the middle of the plant. Like a small cabbage.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
gone 2 seed said:
But there isn't a stalk it just looks like a small head in the middle of the plant. Like a small cabbage.
The sprouts should form on the sides of the stalk where each leaf comes out and should start from the bottom and work their way up.

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
When they first get started brussel sprouts look a lot like cabbage ( a lot of other brassicas do too) As they grow you should be able to tell a difference. New growth comes out of the center of the plant, and it does look like a cabbage plant sometimes. Your brussels will eventually make a big thick stalk and the sprouts will form along the length of it. As the plants get bigger, be sure to pull any leaves around the bottom that turn yellow or start to wilt because it will improve air circulation and help prevent disease. Here is a picture of mine a few days ago:

6234_brussels.jpg
[/img]

The three plants across the top of the picture are cabbages, the six at the bottom are brussels. Rarely I have been a victim of mix-ups at nurseries and ended up with cabbage that was labeled as broccoli or brussel sprouts , but if yours are 14-16" tall it sounds like you should be okay. Most brussel sprouts require a LONG growing season so be patient:frow Hope this helps!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have never grown them but once I bought a stalk filled with them at the farmers market. They were delicious.

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
jlmann said:
When they first get started brussel sprouts look a lot like cabbage ( a lot of other brassicas do too) As they grow you should be able to tell a difference. New growth comes out of the center of the plant, and it does look like a cabbage plant sometimes. Your brussels will eventually make a big thick stalk and the sprouts will form along the length of it. As the plants get bigger, be sure to pull any leaves around the bottom that turn yellow or start to wilt because it will improve air circulation and help prevent disease. Here is a picture of mine a few days ago:

[url]http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/6234_brussels.jpg[/url]

The three plants across the top of the picture are cabbages, the six at the bottom are brussels. Rarely I have been a victim of mix-ups at nurseries and ended up with cabbage that was labeled as broccoli or brussel sprouts , but if yours are 14-16" tall it sounds like you should be okay. Most brussel sprouts require a LONG growing season so be patient:frow Hope this helps!
Thank you mine look like yours only with a lot of bites out of them. What are you using for pest control?

Latest posts