Brussel Sprouts look like heads of cabbage-what I discovered yesterday

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
By "pests" are you refering to 4 legged pests or 6-8 legged pests? For rabbits and such, I have dogs and traps. For insects- long story: I try to use insecticidal soap and I have a garden that has been in place for several years, if I have an infestation of something serious that is tough to get rid of and nothing else works I use Sevin(carbaryl-I think) VERY sparingly. I also fight slugs/snails with beer can:Dtraps and a little epsom salts(good for the soil here too). It has taken me quite a while to get all of the critters that like my veggies to leave them alone long enough for me to enjoy them. We have to use electric fencing,dogs,shotguns etc. to keep them under control:(. you should be OK though - they don't start forming actual "brussel sprouts" for a while- you should have plenty of time to get them under control! Good luck!

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well here goes how dumb I was. I thought the sprout came out the middle.. I noticed how tall they were gettting but never looked down below the head to see the stalk that had formed under it with lots of little sprouts. I will take a picture later when I go work in the garden.
i am so excited that they are doing what they are suppose to be doing and just a little ashamed that I was clueless to how they grow. :hide

so when they get to be about 2 -3 feet tall do I pinch out the middle leaves? I should have sprouts within the next week. So I am guessing I just cut the mature ons off with a sharp knife and let the others keep growing?

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
A lot of people do pinch out the middle leaves so they get uniform size brussel sprouts at harvest , but I personally don't. That's up to you. I always pick from the bottom and let the tops keep growing- seems like I get more out of the plants if I do that.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't feel bad- the first year I grew them, I kept looking in the middle for something to be happening...Then for some reason I looked under the plant, on the stem...Oh- I get it!! My growing season is a little short- so mine actual sprouts are a little smaller than I would like- but very tender and delicious! Enjoy!

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Haha I was wondering just the same thing! I planted mine about a week ago because I was too lazy to start them from seed myself, I bought them for like 99 cents for a pack of 4, something insanely cheap like that. They're in the ground now, I can't wait!

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
lesa said:
Don't feel bad- the first year I grew them, I kept looking in the middle for something to be happening...Then for some reason I looked under the plant, on the stem...Oh- I get it!! My growing season is a little short- so mine actual sprouts are a little smaller than I would like- but very tender and delicious! Enjoy!
Exactly. who knew they came from the stem. Mine actually look pretty good now that I figured it out. . It has stopped raining so I am going to take pictures. it started raining again while we were out putting wire around a new silkie pen. got some pictures will post shortly.

mtn_penny

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Also for the 6-8 legged pests on any of the cabbage family try planting some fennel close by it will help keep away the cabbage moths.

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
5806_p5240100.jpg