Brussel Sprouts

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is the first year that I have grown these. I really truely LOVE to eat them but never tried to grow them. The problem I am having is that I have a 2 1/2 foot tall plant and have yet to see anything that looks like a sprout? What am I doing wrong? is there something special that I am suppose to be doing to these? Hate to think I did this for nothing. The plants look great but they just aren't doing anything.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I bet they are still coming yet. My sprouts are just tiny little bumps right now at the base of each leaf.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
even though the plants are almost 3 foot tall? When do they start producing? Is it to hot for them to still produce (mid 90's)?

sparks

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Keep watering them and they will produce in the fall. Even though our first frosts are in early Sept. we often can still pick them around Thanksgiving. They can take the cold. They are even better after a frost!:happy_flower

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We don't plant until mid-August here, and they grow through the winter. They like the cooler, moister weather.

Of the 3 varieties I grow, none are over 120 days, and they go as low as 80.

You may want to stake them.

DayLily2008

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I love brussel sprouts.

They are soooo yummy when you boil them to when they are almost done, then you fry up some bacon, chop the bacon, and put the sprouts and bacon back into the bacon grease, and let the sprouts carmelize.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They seem to need shorter days/longer nights to really get them to bud up - which also corresponds with cooler, moister weather. Patience, grasshopper! ;)

sparks

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Brussel sprouts made like dilled pickled beans are the best!!:happy_flower

freshfood

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We grew sprouts last year for the first time...they do seem to take forever to form, and ours were small - but last year was extremely dry here, so dry that the pond shrunk and we couldn't reach the water because of the knee-deep mud around the edge! This year, the rain has been better, so we look forward to a bigger crop. They will come, honest! And they'll be well worth the wait. Yum, yum!:clap

Sarah_Mom2Four

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
sparks said:
Brussel sprouts made like dilled pickled beans are the best!!:happy_flower
Oh wow that sounds delicious! Do you have a good recipe you could share? Normally I just boil them up cover them in butter and garlic salt and enjoy :D But pickling sounds very delicious in my pregnant state!

Latest posts