Brussels sprouts experts!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can usually grow fantastic Brussels Sprouts. The last 2 seasons the sprouts have not developed properly. I always grow a few different varieties in order to account for the difference in growth from one season to the next. Any experts out there that can tell me the secret?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Could the soil have become nitrogen deficient? Have you grown them in the same spot year to year? I believe they are heavy feeders and insufficient nitrogen can cause the plants to sputter and fail. When I used to grow them I always busted off the leaves to make more room for the sprouts along the stem, though I don't think not breaking the leaves would cause improper growth...

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Could the soil have become nitrogen deficient? Have you grown them in the same spot year to year? I believe they are heavy feeders and insufficient nitrogen can cause the plants to sputter and fail. When I used to grow them I always busted off the leaves to make more room for the sprouts along the stem, though I don't think not breaking the leaves would cause improper growth...
I do a careful crop rotation. We use manure and compost every year. All of the other brassicas did very well. In fact my whole garden was great sans Brussels sprouts. They actually did not sputter and fail. The plants are large and healthy but the florets are just not large enough to bother harvesting. I just read they are subject to Boron deficiency. I will need to look more into that.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm a great fan of Brussels and will be watching, thanks for this thread. :)

Latest posts