Reaction score
WELCOME
TO THE BUDDLEIA THOUGHTS + IDEAS CLUB!
:frow

Buddleja-davidii--Buzz-Velvet.jpg

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The first butterfly bush I ever bought was the variety Black Knight, I spotted it from afar at one of the garden centers here. The florets were almost black and that orange eye :ep, the flower heads were huge it was an eye popper. I had this shrub for a couple of years and had many compliments on it, alas one severe winter I lost it. Thinking it would not be hard to replace I bought another, what a disappointment yes it was dark purple but the whole flower head was much smaller and the color not as vibrant. To this date I have never come across another Black Knight like the first one I had. The lesson learned for me here is if you have something you think is special TAKE CUTTINGS as soon as you can.

I only have one now is Sunglow, I had a really lovely Pink Delight but the oil man wiped it out when taking a short cut, dragged the hose though it :barnie. I had given my neighbor a cutting and she has a large shrub now so I can start another from hers.

Annette

Nenebynature

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to get my butterfly bush game started this fall. I had two beautiful ones at my last house (bought on clearance of course) but haven't planted any since I've moved. I miss their effortless blooming and the life they bring to the yard.

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've always wanted one, and I know they grow in my zone 6. I should have another 5 weeks at least before a frost... is it too late to try to get one started? (potted from store, not a cutting)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have one in the color of your picture. Unfortunately there is a David Austin rose next to it and I only have room for one. The rose is doing so well that I'm leaning towards keeping that one. I'm still trying to rack my brain and find a new spot for the buddleia. So far I can't find a spot for it. It was supposed to be a dwarf and top at 3 ft. well it grows to almost 6 ft which limits my options.

Mary

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm still trying to rack my brain and find a new spot for the buddleia. So far I can't find a spot for it. It was supposed to be a dwarf and top at 3 ft. well it grows to almost 6 ft which limits my options.
Mary do you have neighbors on all sides? Maybe you could tuck it in on the other side of your fence with their permission. I have a back corner like that, where I can keep the flowers watered from my side but they are in the neighbor's yard.