bugs and more bugs

heather smith

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have 4 raised beds outside in my yard this year for vegetables. This is my first year growing in North Carolina or in raised beds. I am used to doing it in ground back in Massachusetts. But I laid down some weed block and cardboard underneath and then filled up my soil mixture, etc and went to planting. There is some excess of the weed block around all 4 sides of each bed. Today I noticed that there are tons of black and red ants. Also some frogs jumped out from underneath the excess weed block. There seem to be little tiny snail looking things, maybe also some grubs. Who knows how much little bugs are there, but what should I do? Cut off the excess? How do I get rid of all these insects? Do you think they are going up through the soil underneath my plants too? Ugh insects are yuck right?

heather smith

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
These are the snails

Attachments

• 20150519_135430.jpg
    20150519_135430.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 173

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think if it were mine, I would cut the weed barrier to the edge of the bed. Lawn maintenance will be easier that way. The little snails are probably there because of the moisture and shade. I doubt they will bother your plants much, but you can always sprinkle crushed egg shells all around the plants, to repel the snails. They look like the little periwinkles that invade aquariums. They, or their eggs, can live for years in a dormant stage, then regenerate when moisture is present. At least that has been my experience with aquariums.
The ants and frogs won't harm your plants.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd cut it off, but make sure you have a few rocks or something nearby to provide a cool, shady spot for the toads to take shelter in because they will work on removing your bugs for you. DD7 grew out about a dozen tadpoles into toads last year and we turned them loose in the garden. Have not seen a slug since and we used to be plagued with them. :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd cut it off, but make sure you have a few rocks or something nearby to provide a cool, shady spot for the toads to take shelter in because they will work on removing your bugs for you. DD7 grew out about a dozen tadpoles into toads last year and we turned them loose in the garden. Have not seen a slug since and we used to be plagued with them. :)

frontiergirl53

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I actually make frog and lizard homes in my garden, they are great! I saw a huge lizard the other day... I freaked out it was so huge! :hide

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I save broken ceramic or terracotta planters to put in my flower beds for toad homes. Just turn them over and stick back under a hosta or some other plant for shade. If I had more time, I'd like to give them some decorative bling or make them into fairy houses. That would be fun.

Latest posts