Bulbs For woods Zone 5 suggestions

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Little_Chittenden_Wood_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1861070.jpg

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Crocus will thrive in areas like above in addition to what ever else you plant, and will pop up early before the trees leaf out.

I've never gathered the Saffron but it can be done.
I'm not positive, but I thought Saffron was collected from fall blooming crocus rather than the spring varieties.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha! I learned something new trying a Google search for Scilla. It's a town in Italy!

Instead, try a Google image search for Scilla flowers! Is that what is in the picture in your opening post NyBoy?

I really like my Wood Hyacinth in the corners of my backyard. When they bloom, it means warm weather is finally here. They are in the shade. That shade may be why they are in control. I understand they are considered an invasive in some parts of the country. So, take that under advisement with wood hyacinth, NyBoy.

Allium may be the same story. They propagate by seed all over my front yard and along one side flower bed!

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whatever you pick, try to go for deer resistant, which I'm sure you already knew.
Daffodils are the go to bulb for deer resistance, and it's amazing how many forms they have been bred into. There's even one that looks like a cactus dahlia.
There's lots of others too. One of my clients loves tulips and always wants me to plant them. I guess she likes having high blood pressure, because the deer usually get them in the bud stage if I am even 5 minutes late on the scheduled deer repellent spray. :rolleyes:
I
do not like high blood pressure, and I get just as ticked off as the homeowner when that happens.

Whiteflower Farms has lots of d.r. bulbs just as an example.

edit: It's actually White Flower Farm, but I didn't want to redo the link.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was gonna say, "But Thistle', they are ALL daffodils!"

Then, I realized I was on page 2. Wait. They are all daffodils on page 3! Okay, page #1 has something else ...

Strange that camassia is deer resistant but edible by humans. Howsomeever, I don't know about that one species. Pricey! No scilla?

Steve

Latest posts