bumblebees :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the north garden has some flowering bunching onions and thyme that the bumblebees have been on a lot the past several days when i've been out there working on getting it weeded and planted. today i was just finishing up getting ready to plant and was walking by and saw four bumblebees within a few feet of each other on the bunching onions so i came inside hoping to get the camera in time, but alas they had spread out more and so it wasn't as nice of a shot. however, i did get a few pictures of two bees on one flower head and some others.

haven't gotten them off the camera yet to look at better to see if they're worth doing something with or not, but i was still glad to see them all there.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
feeding on the bunching onions

DSC_20200613_121414-0400_463_BumbleBees_thm.jpg

and on the creeping thyme

DSC_20200613_121636-0400_468_BumbleBee_thm.jpg

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I created a bee garden in the back of the property this year. (My husband grumped and called it weeds) it has been packed with bees ranging from big fat bumble bees to some smaller, less cute varieties.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
today i had to get out and water earlier and there were a bunch more bumblebees on the bunching onions and also in the thyme. that's the most bumblebees i've seen in one spot before in my lifetime so it was great.

last year i planted some cosmos to give the bees some extra flowers later in the season and i hope it helped them. this year i've not had a chance yet to get those planted, but i know the bees do really swarm them when they are flowering. they're so easy to grow too. the deer might munch a few but most of the time they leave them alone.

so, while i'm thinking about it i'm going to get out and do it right now. :) got it done and they're watered in. just a few small patches of them but they are fun to watch for the variety of bees that visit them.

Last edited: