Bumblebees

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday was one of those Perfect-Wish-I-Could-Can-This kind of day.
Sunshine, puffy white clouds, (okay, a few were dark gray) a light breeze....aaahhhhh....beautiful!
The bees were also enjoying it, the bumbles were out in force. My son counted 26 just on the thyme!
Snapped a few pics and thought I'd share with you guys.

Bumblebees on thyme

7504_bunblebees024.jpg

Bees on Mountain Bluet

7504_bunblebees007.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank You, Thistle'!

To give the rest of you guys an idea of what can make Thistle' happy, consider this: Yesterday's high was 71F. Normal high temperature for the date is 73, according to the Weather Service.
Just getting close to normal does it for Thistlebloom . . . :bee

I don't know where all the rain clouds came from this morning. I didn't expect them. But, there is some brightness in the western sky :coolsun.

Steve

BTW - notice the honey bee beside the bluet . . ?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very nice pics! The last couple of years I have noticed a huge increase in the bumble bee population... That thyme looks beautiful. I have the creeping variety and the flowers are white and kind of boring!

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was REALLY worried until just a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't seeing ANY bees in the garden. Not ONE! But now I find honey bees in the zuc flowers and cuc flowers, and see big black bumblebees lumbering around, too. Yesterday (or was it Saturday) I got BUZZZED by a black/yellow bumble, and I was thrilled to see him in the garden! Yeah!! :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love that Mountain Bluet pic with the honeybee zooming in. I bet that big bumblebee tried to chase her off! They are so territorial. :p

We've been having some pristine weather here too. The air feels just perfect.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Awesome pics, thistle! Yesterday was awesome here too, I think we're probably only a few hours behind you on the weather cycle, but of course, back to rain today! I'm ready for actual summer any time now....

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
Very nice pics! The last couple of years I have noticed a huge increase in the bumble bee population... That thyme looks beautiful. I have the creeping variety and the flowers are white and kind of boring!
We are still in a bad way with the honey bee population. The honey producers are having problems with mites in the hives. Bee population is still down. :(

HappyHomestead

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing! We've noticed a lot more honey bees around lately. Hopefully they're on the upswing :)

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beautiful pictures thistle! I've seen no honeybees last year or this year. Last year I did have a few bumblebees, but this year, none.:( The heat is just about unbearable in my neck of the woods - 101 yesterday and same for today! :hit I've often said I don't like cold weather, but I take some now!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've seen only one cabbage moth . . .

Thermometer made it up to 68 yesterday but it was nearly impossible to recognize it as that warm - what with wind gusts above 30mph :/. I waited until afternoon before venturing into the garden but then was run off immediately by what turned out to be a real gutter-washer of a rainstorm!

It is mostly the flowering and fruiting that is interfered with. Of course, things like peppers are just sitting out there looking around saying, "For Pete's Sake - what are we doing out here?!"

The neighbor's hay field must be waist-high. There's a lot of protein in green leaves . . . That's kind of an alpine perspective on things ;). I'm pleased how well the beets are growing :p!

It must be difficult for bumblebees without stored sugar! I'm sure the honey bees need all they've got from last year. Me? I'm looking forward to those beets :cool:!

Steve

Latest posts