Burlap bags

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just found a source for burlap bags on Craigslist. I am going to give them a call today to schedule pickup. I am thinking these will be wonderful to use around plants to keep down weeds and hold in moisture. What else can I use these for? The guy said he has hundreds. Not sure how many he will give me at a time. Coffee chaff is also available for compost.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

I did that one year. After I created my rows for my 50 x 50 ft vegetable garden I used burlap bags to cover the mounds and then cut an 'X' where each plant would go. I made my own fasteners with cut up clothes-hangers. It all seemed so simple and brilliant.

Then the weeds sprouted under the burlap. They pushed the burlap up like a balloon and then eventually broke through the weaved mesh of the burlap. It was even harder to pull them and cut them out with the burlap in place. It really was like a big "Chia Pet". What a mess LOL.

Maybe if you use a pre-emergent herbicide to rid yourself of the weed seeds. Or, if you layer newspaper on the spot first, then attach the burlap over that, you might be able to kill the weedlings as they sprout and cannot find a way up and out into the sunlight of the day.

Wishing you better luck than I had,

Ron

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What Greensage said -- I would really really not recommend them in any attempt to keep down weeds. Weeds will grow through and into them and become almost impossible to pull out.

However burlap bags are great for making compost or manure tea, can be useful for storing bulbs or certain produce in the fall, and frankly if it were me I'd open most of them up and staple to a wood frame and use as moveable shade/windbreak shelters for newly planted things (also helps keep lettuce etc sown for a fall crop cooler while the seedlings are coming up).

Have fun,

Pat

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like the idea of the shade screening. That would be awesome.

Ron

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use them for wrapping newly-planted trees and bushes over winter, mostly. I've also used them in the past like this: I prune my roses rather tall (about, hmm, 30-36" tall), then pack the bottom growth 10-12" deep with straw, pack straw loosely around the rest of the growth, and mummify the whole thing in 2-3 layers of burlap. Gradually unpack in spring. That way I get bigger bushier plants that bloom earlier.

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The source is a local coffee roaster. But I called the guy several times today but never caught him in. I will try again tomorrow.

What if I put newspaper or cardboard under the burlap? I like the burlap Chia pet but had rather not have it in my garden.:lol:

Susan

Marklar

Sprout
Reaction score
when handling those coffee bags becareful and try not to breathe in the dust that is in the burlap .. its from all over the planet and makes my allergies go crazy sometimes.

mark

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
gone 2 seed said:
What if I put newspaper or cardboard under the burlap?
Well you can do that of course but then what is the point of the burlap? You can't leave it nekkid -- it will blow awry and away -- and if you are putting down paper and then covering with mulch, why even *bother* with burlap in between?

JMO, have fun,

Pat

Latest posts