Burned by the helpful neighbor....

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can see where this expense caught you off guard and I would have liked to be informed prior to the repairs also..it's embarrassing to have to tell folks, "Hey, I love that you were looking out for me by doing extra on the mower and, for the repairs done, it's a reasonable price...but I just don't have that money right now, so this has caught me off guard."

A lot of folks don't live with the reality of paycheck to paycheck living, with one thing having to go without while you pay for the other, so they probably don't think about how much of a chunk of money $300 is for someone having many financial burdens at one time.

I'd be thanking that neighbor for the prompt repair and the extra work done, and I'd be explaining how off guard you've been caught due to repeated financial blows at this time. Quite often the truth is the simplest way to go...I'm betting they didn't mean to not keep you in the loop but were thinking of merely doing you a favor by being so thorough.... and then I'd be asking Dad for help in paying for the repairs to your jointly claimed mower.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I understand the need to fix things -- like so many other bad things -- seems to come in threes. Picture the three biggest financial drains possible to break down and they will.

Our house is just shy of 40 years old. That means most of the appliances, house mechanics, electrical, and plumbing are all 40 years old and aging as fast as we are. Hence the recent new fridge and heating system. My Jen-Air, my pride and joy, is not going to last much longer.

That's why Public Housing tears out everything every 15 years. Lighting, toilets, counters, furnaces, fridges, stoves, everything is tossed and new is put in. We have gotten some really nice tub, toilet, sink sets from their redos.

Oh, to have unlimited funds when these things happen!

@catjac1975, our school district allowed teachers to take our salary over the full year rather than just the school year. I was one of the few who elected the pay as you go plan and took all my pay during the school year. I could never see the advantage in telling the school board, "Thank you for holding on to my money. I can't handle my finances myself and appreciate you doing it for me," and then have them expect me to teach math, finances, and responsibility to their children.
We got our pay at the end of June . Same money.....just had to make it last.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
AAAAaaaaand I get home yesterday and the AC has frozen up again. This time, all the way out to the unit outside.
gaah[1].gif

(Why can't my ice maker create that much ice, that fast?)

But, the repaired mower was in my barn with a note "I'll call you later". The mower looks great, he didn't call.

Latest posts