Burned by the helpful neighbor....

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Understand anger BUT what was the real conversation between your Dad and repairmen? I know you understand what you said. Not sure repairmen did.

For $300 you got new blades ($60-$100), bearings repaired ($5-$60), deck maintained, picked up and delivered, plus the labor to do it. The pick up and delivery, time to exam would be $100. Now that it is looking like new, sell it-should be worth $500+. Before, you would have gotten scrap metal for it plus had to take it to recycler.

Understand slammed with bills but looks like they did you a favor.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It does sound like maybe it was just a miscommunication. The price for all of that work is quite fair. I am sorry it got out ahead of you before you had time to figure out your budget for it. That is fast turn around for his work at least. Bad time of year to be without a working mower! Would your dad help you pay it, since you were sharing the mower anyway?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I agree. There is SO much LACK of communication today!!! My job lives and dies on communication. I save every email with information on my agreed upon loan closings for days like today, where I was shorted $25.00. I have the evidence saved on my hard drive.
$300.00 is a BIG DEAL, when you finances are stretched. He did take advantage of you. I'm sure that his business is down because we ARE still in the middle of a financial DEPRESSION. Still, my vendors don't go ahead and do anything without my OK!!
Keep on good terms, but find someone else to do you engine repairs.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like after a long string of breakdowns, all of which caused a bleeding checkbook, this was the last straw. Your checkbook got tired of coughing up blood and just had an all out aneurysm.

I agree that the repairs are reasonably priced, the neighbor probably felt that he was doing you a favor. Any other time, you would probably feel grateful. You could tactfully tell him how much you appreciate the care he lavished on your mower. Then tell him of your bled to death checkbook, let him know you will pay him, apologizing for not having the money right now. Be sure to brag on how good it looks. Sounds like he went over and beyond for you. He just wasn't aware of your financial situation at this moment.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
While cleaning out my deceased FIL's property, we came across an old push mower. Well, it was purchased in 1996, so that's how old it is. Probably wasn't run much but sat with old gas in it for nearly 20 years. We brought it home, to give to my son, who has grass up to his @$$, thinking he might be able to fix it, as he can't afford to buy one right now.
DH started fiddling with it this morning and had me help him drain the old gas out. I don't know what else he did besides put a new spark plug in, but first thing I know, he had it running at full speed. I got a new air filter for it, so it should be ready to go. Hopefully we can get it to my son this week.
I am so happy that DH got up the energy to work on it. This is the kind of thing he needs; small victories, little projects to help spark his interest in life. :)
Sorry, @canesisters, here I go and hijack your thread. o_O

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
@catjac1975 that's why I'm going to pay it and not say anything. I don't think that it was actually some kind of intentional malace.
But after spending almost 3 months salery over the past 6 weeks to fix things that NEEDED fixing - this is really rubbing me the wrong way. A simple phone call would have given me the option to say, 'Wow, that's going to have to wait a while. I'll let you know when I'm able to fix it. Thanks."
We have had 2 different times when things just broke one after another. You replace the first thing, and then the second. And when you end up with several more things breaking you look back and say,"I could have held off on the dishwasher, but how am I going to live without a a dryer for a while." As school teachers we had this happen twice, both times during the summer when we were just eaking it out until September. Thank God for the plenty of the garden. I feel for you.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Or when a repair snowballs. I wanted to replace cheap vinyl floor in kitchen with hardwood. When pulled up vinyl ,sub floor had dry rot, cabinet had to come out to get to floor. Behind cabinets drywall had mold. from changing flooring to gutted kitchen. Of course with new floor, walls cabinets, and counter top I wasn't putting old appliances back. Job I started thinking a few thousand ended up almost $20,000 and did I mention I don't cook!!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I understand the need to fix things -- like so many other bad things -- seems to come in threes. Picture the three biggest financial drains possible to break down and they will.

Our house is just shy of 40 years old. That means most of the appliances, house mechanics, electrical, and plumbing are all 40 years old and aging as fast as we are. Hence the recent new fridge and heating system. My Jen-Air, my pride and joy, is not going to last much longer.

That's why Public Housing tears out everything every 15 years. Lighting, toilets, counters, furnaces, fridges, stoves, everything is tossed and new is put in. We have gotten some really nice tub, toilet, sink sets from their redos.

Oh, to have unlimited funds when these things happen!

@catjac1975, our school district allowed teachers to take our salary over the full year rather than just the school year. I was one of the few who elected the pay as you go plan and took all my pay during the school year. I could never see the advantage in telling the school board, "Thank you for holding on to my money. I can't handle my finances myself and appreciate you doing it for me," and then have them expect me to teach math, finances, and responsibility to their children.

Latest posts