Burned by the helpful neighbor....

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
My riding mower started making a TERRIBLE noise 2 weeks ago. I haven't had time to worry about it, with the septic system breaking, the ac breaking, the truck breaking and the cat breaking her leg...
My Dad and I 'share' it and he decided last Sat that he wasn't going to wait for me to figure out how to load it up in my turck so I could carry it off for repairs. He went to Lowes and ordered a new one to be delivered. In the meantime, he also asked a neighbor (who has helped with small repairs in the past) to come look at MY mower since HIS new one was on the way.
The neighbor stopped by a few days ago as I was loading up to head to church. I said, "Sure, haul it to your shop and see if you can figure out what's wrong."
I did not specifically speak the words "Call me before you acutally DO anything....." but sort of thought that was understood.....
Saturday he stopped by again (at 7:30 am!!!) to let me know that he had figured out what was wrong (bad bearings). And that 'as long as they had the deck off anyway' they had sanded and painted it, replaced the blades and a few other little things.
Then he told me it would be $300.
I don't want to cause any ripples with the neighbors. Disgrunteled good'ol boys have a way of getting even. And I have NO intention of ever letting him touch another piece of equipment unless it's a dire emergency.
...And I will have an almost brand new mower for only $300..... but I am STEAMED that a "friend" would take advantage like that.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry that has happened to you. I hate when that happens because I don't like those type of surprises. Once the dental hygienist used an antibiotic that was $35 that I had to pay out of my pocket. I was so steamed! Talked to the office manager but still had to pay. It wasn't about the money but about the fact that I wasn't informed.

Could you perhaps sell the mower for that amount to recoup your money?

I would pay but tell friend how I felt.

Mary

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm going to pay it (as soon as I can come up with it...)
And it's a good deal - the engine was in great shape, now the mowing deck is too.
And since Dad was very clear about His mower and My mower, I'll let him pay the neighbor for all the minor repairs I've been doing on His mower from now on.

Just ranting.... hangry... time for lunch...
voodoodoll_2[1].gif

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not sure how "see if you can figure out what's wrong with it" translates to any more than repairing it. Sandblasting and repainting don't come under that in amy way, shape, or form. Perhaps you father told them to go ahead?

I am the pacifist. I would pay up.

But I am also the educator. I would not be afraid to let them know how I feel and what I had expected -- in the nicest possible way, of course. When I have a problem with someone, I much prefer to face them and discuss the issue than continue to be disgruntled and talk about them behind their back.

I did try that with the neighbors, ya know.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
@catjac1975 that's why I'm going to pay it and not say anything. I don't think that it was actually some kind of intentional malace.
But after spending almost 3 months salery over the past 6 weeks to fix things that NEEDED fixing - this is really rubbing me the wrong way. A simple phone call would have given me the option to say, 'Wow, that's going to have to wait a while. I'll let you know when I'm able to fix it. Thanks."

Latest posts