bush cherry

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Anyone ever grow a bush cherry? BF and I were talking about what else to plant. I have 3 apples one of which I think is going to get cut down, its just too old and over grown. I mentioned a cherry tree and he said many years ago he had a bush cherry that was very plentiful. I think I saw one in a catalog I was looking at. Any thoughts?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, i have hansens bush and nanking cherry.
Their pretty good, they seem to bear at an early aga and the yield is good. Although the flavor isn't as sweet as regular cherries.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like 'em. Pretty, and hardy, and a good crop albeit small rather tart fruits (I much prefer tart cherries, so I consider that a plus <g>).

I have one doing fairly well in more than half a day's shade, too.

Pat

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have the Nankings and another variety--can't remember the name right now. Very hardy, plentiful. Great for snacking, but they're so small that I wouldn't want to have to deal with depitting them.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
thanks, i read the other thread. So pretty much they bear really small tart fruit. I thought about getting a tart pie cherry and an eating cherry. But if the tart bush cherry is that small, as mentioned it would be hard to pit. Maybe I will look for a dwarf tree instead. THanks again

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
hey hubby's grand father has one planted out front of the barn, I have no idea what kind it is and since he is no longer with is I can't ask. I know it is about 5ft across and 5ft high. has not been pruned in years though so that probably would not have hurt it. The cherries it gets are rather small but it is loaded every year. It self poilionates I think because there is not another cherry for 100ft of it. They are a tart cherry I think I would have to ask hubby he eats them every year so he would know. But if they grow here they will grow in Numidia I would think lol.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
nightshade said:
hey hubby's grand father has one planted out front of the barn, I have no idea what kind it is and since he is no longer with is I can't ask. I know it is about 5ft across and 5ft high. has not been pruned in years though so that probably would not have hurt it. The cherries it gets are rather small but it is loaded every year. It self poilionates I think because there is not another cherry for 100ft of it. They are a tart cherry I think I would have to ask hubby he eats them every year so he would know. But if they grow here they will grow in Numidia I would think lol.
my boyfriend said he had one when he lived the other side of Bloomsburg but he didnt say they were tart or not :hu I might get one to try.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Even if the birds get all the cherries, it's still a nice looking bush, especially during its (all too brief) bloom :)

Pat

Latest posts