Butternut Squash Fungi ?

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a few nice squash growing but I was wanting to know why this happened.

100_7166.jpg

I have a trellis and they are not laying on the ground.
I was thinking it may not have been pollenated and is just rotting on the vine. I have a lot of flowers all over the place so this one may have got passed by.

I did the first 4 flowers with a tiny paint brush.

Any ideas?

Thanks; Joe
4952521.gif

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Saw this one had gone unanswered, so I thought I'd give it a crack...

I see that happen on my summer squash at the end of the season. I believe that is one of the effects of downey mildew on the plant. There are sprays for it, but I've never had much effect with them and I usually pull the plant out before it can infect the others. Too much shade or moisture causes it.

ETA: By now, you have probably harvested your squash...so how did they turn out?

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Joe :frow

I had this happen a lot this summer/fall -- we had rain all the time & not enough heat from mid July onwards. All squash etc had terrible mildew & nothing would help. Up to mid July the plants were thriving & covered with flowers. It was heartbreaking as I usually do so well with them. :hit

:rose Hattie :rose

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I did well as far as getting a bunch of Squash to grow.

Just before I was going to harvest them some worms moved in and destroyed all but one.

I am way better at tropical plants! I think I will buy my veg. with money I make selling plants. Never the less I plant this same Squash every year for the last 7 or so. Sometimes I get to enjoy a few of them. The chickens don't mind the bug ridden ones.

That same fungus also was on some of my Morning Glory blooms.
I think it was like you said Journey, to much rain coupled with fresh mulch from the municipal pile.

Thanks for the reply, better late then never! :lol:

Joe

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My yellow squash did that this summer, too. Not all the fruits were affected, so I just pulled and trashed the ones that were.

Then the squash bugs attacked.

Next year, I'll do better. lol

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
AmyRey said:
My yellow squash did that this summer, too. Not all the fruits were affected, so I just pulled and trashed the ones that were.

Then the squash bugs attacked.

Next year, I'll do better. lol
This is exactly what happened to me! I plan on a much earlier start next spring and hope for the best.

I think after a good top soil turn and remulch I will have better microbes going on in my new garden spot( was the front lawn/weeds).

For my first time growing in this soil I did well. Not just veg. but overall!

Joe

Latest posts