Butternut Squash Recipes

Gloria

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Does anyone have any good recipes using Butternut Squash? Or just tell me what you all do with it please. Also how you do it.

I just tried this squash for the first time and only have one recipe using it in my Healthy Cooking magazine.

I liked it so much I'm planning on planting some in my garden this year and need some recipes for it.

Thanks

sunnychooks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here are a couple I love to make!

Baked Butternut

1 Large Butternut Squash, pared and cut into 1" cubes (remove seeds and fibers
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
1/3 Cup Butter, melted
2 tsp Lemon Juice (fresh is best)

Place squash cubes in a 2Qt Cassersole or Baking Dish.
Sprinkle with spices and brown sugar.
Drizzle with melted butter and lemon juice.
Bake uncovered in 375* oven for 45 minutes or until tender.

Butternut Squash Soup

1 Large Butternut Squash
1 medium Onion, chopped (I sometimes cheat and use a Tbsp of minced onion)
1/4 Cup Butter or Margarine
1/2 Cup Flour
6 Cups Water
4 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
2-3 tsp Brown Sugar (or to taste)
1/2 tsp Nutmeg (or to taste)
salt or pepper

Cut squash in half, scoop out seeds, salt and pepper.
Cover Baking Pan with foil and spray with cooking spray (I use a pizza stone and don't bother with the foil or spray).
Place the squash on pan, cut side down and bake at 400* for 30 minutes or until soft.
Take out of oven and cool.

Boil 3 cups of water and add chicken cubes to dissolve.
Add the remaining 3 cups of water.
Melt the butter in a saucepan, add onions and cook until softened.
Add flour and cook 1 minute.
Add the 6 cups of chicken flavored water and cook over medium heat until thickened.
Scoop out squash into soup and cook about 5 minutes.
Add nutmeg and brown sugar. You can also add more salt and pepper to taste, if you want to.
When the soup is cooled, you can puree in a blender. I use a hand held potato masher so I can serve the soup hot.

OR

You can simply cut the squash in half, scoop the seeds and fiber, brush the cut side with butter, add some salt and pepper and bake!!!

Enjoy!!!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Honestly I just cook it and mash it and serve that way -- a little butter and/or crushed toasted walnuts optional.

It is excellent used in any baking recipe that calls for pumpkin puree (I have heard that commercial canned pumpkin pretty much IS butternut squash, actually, just a different variety) -- so, punkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins or cookies, etc etc. Pumpkin cheesecake is good too! :)

Have fun,

Pat

kathyschix

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I love butternut squash done like this:

Peel it, cut into cubes and bake until tender.

Remove from the oven and while still hot carefully toss with a handful of craisins and several handfuls of fresh baby spinach leaves. The heat from the squash will wilt the spinach. Drizzle with a touch of maple syrup.

Mmmmmmm. :D

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bake in 350F oven till done. Or microwave, if you're lazy like me. Let it cool until you can peel it without burning your fingers. Meanwhile, make brown butter: melt a stick of butter in a saucepan, and simmer until caramel-colored. Then take off the heat and skim off any solids. Chop, very finely, about 1-2 tbsp. fresh sage. Cut squash into bite-size pieces or nice slices, however you like, and simmer the sliced pieces in the browned butter for just a minute. Sprinkle sage over top. Take off the heat and grate real parmesan, romano, or asiago over the buttery-herby squashy goodness. Be sure to use the kind of cheese that comes in a wedge, not the pre-grated kind, there's a big difference.

Looks kinda awful, but tastes insanely good. In autumn, this + a few pieces of homemade stuffed flatbread are my favorite dinner. Browned butter is sorta like bacon, it makes everything taste good.

What else? If you've only got a little bit, like 1 c. or so, microwave till mushy and then smash with a few tbsp. real maple syrup, a pinch of ginger, one smashed-up white cardamom pod, garlic powder to taste, and 3 tbsp. finely-grated fontina or gruyere. Use as ravioli filling to make raviolis. Cook raviolis as you usually would--in my house, that means you boil them till they float, then boil exactly 2 minutes longer and drain. Top the boiled raviolis with a mushroom cream sauce (cook 3 tbsp butter + bunch of sliced mushrooms, add 2 tbsp flour, gradually thin w/ 1 cup milk + 1 cup broth) and chopped fresh herbs.

Another soup: saute 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped stick celery, 1 chopped red bell pepper, 4 medium or 2 large roughly chopped fresh tomatoes in 1/4 c. oil. Or butter. Whatever you've got, till the veggies are slightly soft. Mush the tomatoes around a bit with the spoon. Mix in 2 tbsp flour, then gradually thin w/ 3 c. broth. Add cubed squash, cover and simmer till the squash is tender. Then put in a generous amount of Italian seasoning and whatever sort of mixed herbs you like. Salt & hot pepper to taste.

Also, +1 to sunnychooks' baked squash recipe. Especially good with a scoop of ginger ice cream and maple syrup drizzled over top...

Gloria

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for your ideas everyone! They all sound so yummy, I can't wait to try all of them! Yummy good stuff!!

Latest posts