Butternut squash

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have big beautiful winter squash plants, have had some flowers, but no squash yet. I need room to plant some radishes, lettuce and some greens I bought. Will I get squash on these Butternut before frost? I remember the first time I ever grew them and planted early and had 1 squash ripen before frost. Should I pull the plants? They are also running down rows of peppers and starting to shade them. I usually never plant winter squash because of no room.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have big beautiful winter squash plants, have had some flowers, but no squash yet. I need room to plant some radishes, lettuce and some greens I bought. Will I get squash on these Butternut before frost? I remember the first time I ever grew them and planted early and had 1 squash ripen before frost. Should I pull the plants? They are also running down rows of peppers and starting to shade them. I usually never plant winter squash because of no room.

if i don't have a use for the space i'll leave things alone. i'm pretty sure that an undeveloped winter squash is still edible. :) it just may not store well...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It sure is!

GWR, my Autumn Crown plants are mostly just sitting there. Unless they are hiding some tiny ones, there is only one squash on 5 or 6 vines!

The Burgess buttercup is doing better but it's hard for me to know for sure. Those vines are everywhere! Not sure what happened ... summer squash is okay. Pumpkin started early and there is a huge one in there, under the foliage.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I'm anxious to plant something else and the butternut is not producing, then I'd pull the plants. I don't like to take up valuable real estate when I have so little of it and other stuff I need to get in the ground.

My Honeynut butternut squash is doing well. I think there's at least 5 on the plant. Most of the vines are on the walkway which I blocked so no one could get in there. The'll just have to go around. :)

Mary

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
It sure is!

GWR, my Autumn Crown plants are mostly just sitting there. Unless they are hiding some tiny ones, there is only one squash on 5 or 6 vines!

The Burgess buttercup is doing better but it's hard for me to know for sure. Those vines are everywhere! Not sure what happened ... summer squash is okay. Pumpkin started early and there is a huge one in there, under the foliage.

Steve

I wonder what is going on. I never had such beautiful squash plants and no squash. My summer is just now starting to produce. Normally I have squash all over the place and begging to give to somebody, but was worried this morning DD wanted my squash. lol I gave her a pan patty squash, green beans, cucumbers and peppers. With this new diet, I am going to be eating all my frozen squash this winter. I will have to turn the vines to go back into my yard soon or the neighbor will mow them.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found 9 Butternut and 1 Delicata. There might be more. The picture is the biggest one.
Butternut cropped.jpg

Latest posts