Buyer for our House; Southern Style

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH and I had agreed it was time to enlist a real estate agent to sell our house. He called one, a good friend of his and all we needed to do was to set an appointment for her to come by. Over the last weekend, unknown to each of us, we both said prayers about selling our house. Yesterday morning, DH and I were discussing things and he decided to call Billy. Billy is the contractor who gutted the master bedroom and bathroom and remodeled it 3 years ago so my mother could move in with us after her stroke. (she is now in assisted living)

A couple of months ago, Billy had told us his uncle was looking for investment properties, but uncle worked out of town a lot and was hardly ever home. So DH calls Billy and asked him if his uncle was interested. Billy replied yes and we are on our way over there right now. We already had an inspector give us a report, plus Billy knows this house, knows what needs to be done to it and has our confidence and his uncle's confidence.

Billy and his uncle, we'll call him Tom, arrived and Billy showed him the house. DH and I just sat that one out. Tom asked us a few questions, but mainly we all just got acquainted with Tom, visited a lot, BS'ed a lot and just in general, everybody talking a lot. After about 30 minutes of that, DH point blank asked Tom to make an offer. Tom went silent a moment, then shot us a low-balled offer. "Don't insult my intelligence" was DH's reply. We all laughed and went back to visiting. Another 20 or 30 minutes went by and DH said, "Ok, back to the house, here's what I'll do...." and he counter offered. Tom, Billy and DH hashed out a few details and Tom replied that was fair and he took DH's offer. DH told him, "All I want is your word, your word is good enough for me." The two men stood up, crossed the room and shook hands on the deal. It was like watching a moment in history, when a man's word meant something. Tom and my DH are both well known older men in the community, reputation is everything. Two members of a dying breed, their handshake is stronger than any signature on a piece of paper. Well known, upright, strong men whose word is their bond.

We all visited for a couple of hours, Tom has a personal issue to deal with and will pay cash for the house in about a month and a half. That gives us plenty of time to finish preparing the house we bought, for us to move in it, plus build at least enough fence to contain our horses. We can move at our leisure and don't have to be in a mad rush.

On the way out the door, here again, in true Southern fashion, we walked our guests to the door, everybody yakking all the way, and they spied DH's behemoth gun cabinet. I hate it. It takes up an entire wall, it is huge, it's locked all over the place, can't open any door without going through all sorts of PITA unlock this to get to that......just give up and break the stupid glass. In my world, you don't display guns, you hide them in the closet and only privileged people even know you have any, besides the .22 you have hanging above the door you grab on your way out to shoot varmits.

Anyway, their eyes lit up and they veered off in that direction. I complained about it and said it wasn't going to fit in our new house. Not only that, but my pride and joy oak dining table, chairs and china cabinet wasn't going to fit either. Tom was interested. DH took Tom to our bedroom, where our gorgeous southwest solid wood bedroom set wasn't going to fit in our new house either, the upshot being that Tom also bought our furniture.

A deal done on a handshake, no paper, no earnest money, just the word of two proud men. We are at peace with it. God answered our prayers.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
God is good, all the time.
4chsmu1[1].gif

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is awesome, especially the part about not having to hurry to move your things!

I would worry about displaying our guns too, depending on who might have occasion to come inside your house to visit. It could actually increase the odds of being robbed since guns have substantial resell value. DH has a small gun cabinet in our bedroom with a few hunting rifles. I also had to keep my Dad's guns for him for a couple of years while my brother lived with him. My brother had a felony drug conviction and isn't allowed to own, possess or be near a gun for the rest of his life (although unrelated to what he was in trouble for, selling drugs). It worried me to have them, especially since some were family heirlooms, so I kept them under a layer of blankets in the backroom that we use for storage and piled some other things on top. I figure anyone who broke in would go for easier pickings. My Dad has had a lot of stuff stolen over the years, mostly off of the farm, and I'm sure it was from my brother's friends who would see things as they accompanied him sometimes.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Perfect timing. And good on ya for giving the credit where it's due Bay.

I'm also thinking of examples that I've witnessed that show your Southern Style might have a broader geography than you realize. Good character isn't restricted to state borders.
It's so refreshing to find people that have the self respect to be bound by their word. And so nice to hear those stories related. Really happy for you and your DH!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Perfect timing. And good on ya for giving the credit where it's due Bay.

I'm also thinking of examples that I've witnessed that show your Southern Style might have a broader geography than you realize. Good character isn't restricted to state borders.
It's so refreshing to find people that have the self respect to be bound by their word. And so nice to hear those stories related. Really happy for you and your DH!
Yeah, I was thinking about Red and her DH.....how her neighbors have bad mouthed her husband's character around town. They really need to be slapped down-HARD! By Southern style, I was referring more about the visiting part, it took almost 3 hours to do maybe 10 minutes worth of business.... :lol: We just don't get in a hurry....:gig

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't express my delight at these new happenings in your life. It is not only evidence of the power of prayer, but that you took steps toward positive action walking in faith that lead you to your buyer. The whole picture falling into place so quickly is a real blessing. Congrats!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beautiful story Bay and so happy for you. There is no such thing as coincidence when you believe. Like you, my husband and I were praying unbeknowst to each other, that God would send us the mate that he wanted for us. We met 3 months later and wed within the year.

I just wished we were more back in time when your word and handshake meant alot.

Mary

Latest posts