Cabbage Maggots

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had my first run in with cabbage maggots when I pulled a dikon that was oddly wilting. I found some small holes chewed into it, and when I opened it up there was a big black cavern and the inside had lots of tiny white bugs. DISGUSTING!

I've been spraying these guys with neem to deal with leaf chewing pests. How do I deal with the root chewing pests?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh boy!

I sure don't know.

Maybe the pests come from plant parts above the soil line and burrow downward. They could be stopped enroute. Bt thuringiensis is an organic caterpillar killer. However, getting it into the soil, into a root ... maybe as a drench but, I've never done that.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had my first run in with cabbage maggots when I pulled a dikon that was oddly wilting. I found some small holes chewed into it, and when I opened it up there was a big black cavern and the inside had lots of tiny white bugs. DISGUSTING!

I've been spraying these guys with neem to deal with leaf chewing pests. How do I deal with the root chewing pests?

i've had some bugs get into turnips and radishes before, but not many of the plants seem to get them so i don't worry about it.

the radishes i only grow because of the flowers and because they work well for drilling holes through clay to improve the drainage and the worms like them. some time i have to take one to my brother and see if he'll eat them. something impressive about a radish the size of your arm. :)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score

Sorry I did not see this. I have not had this is years. It is a fly that lays the larvae underground in the spring at the base of your seedling. Next season you can cover the base of the plant with foil or a cuff of cardboard. My chickens spend the winter in the garden. I think they keep the larva population down. I have very little pest problems. These are nematodes that you have. I plant many different types of cabbage and this helps to avoid total loss. Here is a good article
https://www.smartgardener.com/plants/7440-cabbage-cabbage/pests/771-nematodes

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry I did not see this. I have not had this is years. It is a fly that lays the larvae underground in the spring at the base of your seedling. Next season you can cover the base of the plant with foil or a cuff of cardboard. My chickens spend the winter in the garden. I think they keep the larva population down. I have very little pest problems. These are nematodes that you have. I plant many different types of cabbage and this helps to avoid total loss. Here is a good article
https://www.smartgardener.com/plants/7440-cabbage-cabbage/pests/771-nematodes

Thank you catjac! I was really struggling to find information on this.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score

If you see flies in the air, scout for eggs in the soil. You can try installing 'cabbage collars' at the base of the stem. Sticky traps in the garden are effective at trapping cabbage flies.

Latest posts