Calla Lily Bulbs

Manda_Rae

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to growing my own Calla Lilies. I love tham and used to just purchase them but I have a few bulbs that were given to me.
They have already started to grow.
Does anyone have advice on Potted Calla lilies? I rent so I don't want to plant them into the ground. I do have cactus dirt since I just re potted one of my cactus plants. Can I use that dirt or do I have to go out and get a specific dirt? Thanks :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
They should grow for you fine in containers... I would recommend an ordinary potting soil product. That cactus stuff is awfully rocky and sandy for the lily's. Good luck with them!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Calla lillies are very easy for me to grow. They come up all over the place and I'm always moving them. They also come up in my containers where I have hydrangea growing. I sometimes leave them there, sometimes dig them out and replant elsewhere.

I don't know where you live so perhaps they may not do as well? But in either case, I would definitely try them. I love calla lillies because here we have them for about 9 months.

Mary

Manda_Rae

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I live in Northern Florida so it stays warm most of the year the cactus dirt is mostly dirt than sand but I grabbed some potting soil anyway since I didnt want to risk it :)

Does anyone know how long till they will flower? Are they like some plants I have to wait a year before they flower?
Thanks so much!

Featherbaby

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Mine flowered the first year, but I did have them in the ground, not in pots. I would recommend a Large, fairly deep pot and regular monthly feedings with half-strength liquid fertilizer (like Miracle Gro). I have mine in Morning sun and afternoon shade. In FL I don't think they can tolerate full sun. Mine bloom just fine in part shade.

Latest posts