Calling all cauliflower experts.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I find even my own cauli seedlings sometimes fail in the greenhouse! The only way I can grow celery is from bought starts. They do well but need a lot of water. They are very puny and strong flavored compared to store bought but, I like the flavor. I often forget to buy the starts until it is too late. Not too many places sell them so perhaps it is hard to grow for many. I also think that because celery is relatively cheap in the grocery store not too many people bother with it. My seedlings that I have started were too small and pathetic to bother planting.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have never grown celery to harvest. Here is how my celery adventures always go:

1. Start seeds.
2. Seedlings sprout.
3. Seedlings grow just fine.
4. Transplant seedlings into raised bed.
5. Celery plants form a conspiracy (probably egged on by the asparagus).
6. A cult is soon formed.
7. Mass suicide commited at the first full moon.
8. Lather, rinse, repeat next year. :/

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
MontyJ said:
I have never grown celery to harvest. Here is how my celery adventures always go:

1. Start seeds.
2. Seedlings sprout.
:lol: :yuckyuck :gig

blondiebee181

Leafing Out
Reaction score
MontyJ said:

1. Start seeds.
2. Seedlings sprout.
:he :gig That's funny....So I am new on this forum, I just joined over from the backyard chickens forum and this is my first year starting raised bed gardens of my very own!!! Super excited, buuuut I have decided not to do cauliflower either because I hear it is a pain!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome BlondeiBee!

:welcome

You may want to try Broccoli before Cauliflower. More forgiving and a bit easier. Broccoli comes in several very different kinds.

Try planting a few seeds now, and a few in May, then a few in June and July of each.

Purple Sprouting

Broccoli Raab

De Cicco

and try one of the hybrids

Some will overwinter and produce next March. If you are down under in Australia, add 6 months to each month I mentioned. Others may have different months to suggest planting. When working up to a difficult crop, start with similar easier ones, and find the best times to plant them.

Lacinato Kale is a nice even easier similar crop.

:frow

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome blondiebee!

Like Marshall said, start with broccoli as it is pretty easy to grow. The biggest problem most new broccoli growers run into is waiting too long to cut the heads.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
I've never tried growing Celery, but here is one website that has some tips for growing it:

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/celery/tips-on-how-to-grow-celery.htm
I have seen that one Marshall. This year I think I am going to try a drip irrigation system on the celery. I think my biggest obstacle is the heat. Unless I can find an effective means of shading it, I think it's just going to keep frustrating me. There is one corner of the house that sees little to no sun at all. Wild ferns grow there frequently and the soil is almost always damp. I may try growing it there, but the soil has not been ammended. The pH is probably very low and I don't have time to bring it up. I would hate to put a raised bed there because this house is due to be demolished this fall so I can start building our new home. I might be able to put a raised bed on the north side of the barn though.

blondiebee181

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks guys, yeah I have already decided against cauli and to try broccoli....there are lots of gardeners in my family so I can't mess up too bad! Hopefully... :weight

blondiebee181

Leafing Out
Reaction score
So...a related question...I know broccoli will bolt if you wait too long to cut it but is it bad for you if you eat it after it blooms? Or does it just taste bad?

Latest posts