1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. This member need landscaping ideas - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Campari Tomato Seeds

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by JimWWhite, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Oct 16, 2012
    Smiles Jr.

Smiles Jr. Garden Addicted

Thanks for the update, Jim. I was hoping to hear from you on these tomatoes.

I have been planting only heirloom tomatoes for several years now but I think I'll try some hybrids next spring also. I'm always wondering what I'm missing when I hear folks talk about varieties that I know nothing about.

2. Oct 17, 2012
    NwMtGardener

NwMtGardener Garden Addicted

Glad to hear it worked out well with the seeds, I saved some from store bought Campari's this year...so I'll try them out next year!

3. Oct 17, 2012
    marshallsmyth

marshallsmyth Garden Master

Some hybrids are crosses between very similar varieties, and very little difference shows up in the F2 generation. But they continue to do the cross for some certain advantage that may not show up in all of the F2's.

This turns out to be the case with the "safeway cluster" tomatoes I've been growing. Very much the same looking tomatoes in the same shape and size cluster, but yes, a few differences I see are, the stem the clusters are on are not quite as thick and pretty, and the color does not have that extreme glossiness, but are still pretty glossy.

I don't know for sure if the Campari are hybrids or not, but I have a feeling they may be. It does seem to be common these days to develop 2 strains very similar, and key in on the targetted double dominant and double recessive traits for both parent lines to work together for targetted traits.

These breeders know they have a thorobred champion F1 and are not too concerned that F2 and beyond versions may arise from them, because the targetted traits such as extremely pretty stems, extreme glossiness, or end of season productivity of full size fruits, or other top marketting or producing traits will not show all together in very many F2 or beyond plants. Breeders can also target for hybrid vigor to only exist in the F1.

All that said, I still think it is cool to dehybridize into homegrown stable varieties what the professional breeders come up with. Some of my friends, raised in cities and suburbs, actually prefer the taste of store bought tomatoes. Ok. That's what they were raised on, it's what they are used to. To them, a Hillbilly tomato is just an ugly homegrown tomato. I could remind them ad nauseum what they miss out on, and not change their mind. On the other hand they'll never get me to eat a froggy's legs.

Dominant traits, whether they are as DD or Dr, will be expressed, but usually the DD homozygous, or double dominant, will show the trait just a little bit more. Breeders are now getrting 2 strains of the same or very similar variety, and are working both the parent lines to have homozygous DD or rr for certain traits, even if not all the traits. They then select to make sure those D's and r's are all at the right place...they can check that now on sequencing machines...and then cross them.

The 2 parent lines may even come themselves from the very same original cross. Sibling varieties.

This is all actually standard hybridizing, but only with their modern tools and planned by folks with degrees who are paid to come up with a variety that has targetted goals.

=====

I basically said everything twice here to try to make sure possible questions are already answered.

Collector likes this.
  4. Oct 17, 2012
    JimWWhite

JimWWhite Deeply Rooted

Well said, Marshall. I think... :p

5. Mar 17, 2018
    Fred DeFelice

Fred DeFelice Sprout

I use the seeds from the Campari tomatoes I purchase in the super markets. Seed company’s want so much for them and you only get a few. Just be sure to rinse them off and dry them completely before planting them. You can do this with so many differently plants. Why pay more is you already have them in the fruit you buy. I’ve been doing this for years and when you find a great tasing product, save the seeds, but dry them good first before putting them in good soil and you will be amazed. I am every time they pot up. You can also freeze them after the drying process for next spring. Good luck with those favorite tasting vegatables you want to copy.

6. Mar 17, 2018
    Fred DeFelice

Fred DeFelice Sprout

Great post for anyone wanting to grow these great tasting tomatoes. Good info Mr White and so many people are going to love the information you provided.

Collector likes this.
  7. Feb 11, 2019
    Dave/Brutus

Dave/Brutus Garden lurker

You said the Campari freezes well. Have you tried to make any sauce out of them? I just planted 72 Roma, but really like the Campari. I have the Roma's up to about an inch and a half, and will put them out in about two weeks. (I live in central Florida) My concern of course in the heat. My plan is to start new seeds two more times, six weeks apart

8. Feb 11, 2019
    so lucky

so lucky Garden Master

Fred De Felice doesn't seem to be an active member anymore, but maybe someone else on here can answer your question.
    Welcome, Dave/Brutus! Tell us a little about yourself and what you like to grow. I see you are in Florida. Yes, it's probably time for you to get those tomatoes out.

9. Mar 25, 2019
    Halife

Halife Garden lurker

sale on internet but very expensive. Only 5 seed 9,90 euro
    https://www.tomatobomo.com/en/175685-tomato-f1-campari.html

10. Mar 25, 2019
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    I think that is probably the best way to go. Young tomato seeds really are hardy!
    Reading about your hive I can appreciate when the local beekeeper, certified to remove hives, took the hive that had been in DD's house for maybe 5-6 years out and was happy to have more. He did this last Spring and said that he had lost a hive in the 2017-18 winter. He told them to expect some strays around the now sealed entry hole, but then decided to sweep the small swarm that was trying to get back in. He said it was a large and Very Healthy hive.