Can anyone identify these?

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
tricia said:
I wish I had random acts of asparagus happening at my place! Those little ones sprouting up would not have lasted past my lunch - they look delicious! As long as they are not super thick or 'woody' I would say they are edible.
hey Tricia, jist how would you prepare 'em fer eatin ? I most definately wanna try 'em.

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
bluebirdfarm said:
asparagus gone to seed , let it seed out for next year.
or eat it whenever really small like pencil asparaugs
How do i go 'bout collectin the seeds from these ones ?

tricia

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I like to steam them for a few minutes (4 - 6 minutes) til they are soft but not soggy and I add butter, salt and sometimes garlic. If you pick some that are really thick or seem a bit tough/woody you can use a potato peeler to take just the dark green layer off the stem. They arealso good on the grill.

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
tricia said:
I like to steam them for a few minutes (4 - 6 minutes) til they are soft but not soggy and I add butter, salt and sometimes garlic. If you pick some that are really thick or seem a bit tough/woody you can use a potato peeler to take just the dark green layer off the stem. They arealso good on the grill.
Thanx Tricia, these are all thin as pencils so far and seem to begin to "flower" in jist a day er two. I will certainly pick 'em while still small and thin and try them on the grill..thanx.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How do i go 'bout collectin the seeds from these ones ?
You have to wait till late summer/early fall. The female ones will get little red "berries" on them, just pick the berries when they get completely red and plant where convenient. Asparagus grown from seed takes a few years to get big enough to eat though.

Also, birds may come and eat the berries and plant them, pre-fertilized, on your behalf, where they think best. You tend to find a lot of it under trees with good perching branches.

Latest posts