Can I build a greenhouse with this?

orloff

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have two 4 feet pieces, two eight foot pieces, one twelve foot piece, two pallets (one seem in picture, same size). All wood is one inch wide.

Can I build a small greenhouse out of this or anyone have any ideas?

I was thinking I could make two racks and use the pallets as the shelves, and use the four foot pieces as the supports, cut a eight foot one in half for the other two, and then use the 12 foot piece and cut it up to make a framed roof, and use the rest to fill in the pieces in between the pallet for the racks.

homestead holdout

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm doing the same thing! Starting to save up all my "scrap and crap" for a greenhouse. My Dad built a good sized, all glass greenhouse by offering a guy at a pawn shop $200 for about 30 old windows, what a deal!!! I got a few old windows from a friends house the other day but it's not enough for even a small greenhouse just yet. The latest issue of Mother Earth News has an arcticle on how to build a small greenhouse for cheap, give that a read... I'd say you're well on your way like me, so just wanted to wish you luck... I've seen some really small ones where if only we could combine what you've got with my windows we might be in there!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh- very exciting! I am sure you could do something with your materials. If not a greenhouse, you could certainly work up some nice cold frames. Holdout, I would love to see a pic of your Dad's window greenhouse. I have been saving windows for such a project. Would love to see a completed one. I used a lot of my windows for a "sun room" for the chickens. Little did I know they would hate snow! But, I am collecting more...Good luck!

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lat year DH picked up some decent sized older windows free from Craigslist. Someone had replaced them with storm windows. Anyway, we were going to add on to our old house and use these windows. Then the house burned down and there sat the stack of windows (7 total) and I said to DH "build a wood bottom frame, screw the windows to it and I can use it for a greenhouse. It works! I'll try to get pics of it.

So if you can build a frame and put something clear over it then I think anything could work for a greenhouse... :)

orloff

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I got started with my greenhouse today. Its actually pretty far. I am only going to need to add one more crossbar across the top, the trays so the wood doesnt get ruined, the greenhouse plastic, and then a plexiglass roof maybee?

3949630038_41ae74d3e6.jpg

3948849323_9b4e9146f2.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looking great! That should work fine! Love the double decker idea...Hmmm...Enjoy!

orloff

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I added a few more boards to it today. I dont exactly know what I am going to do to make it so I can put things on the shelves yet. Maybee just some chicken wire?

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't know if chicken wire would be sturdy enough. Perhaps you could find some old metal refrigerator shelving or something along those lines.

orloff

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I figured out my selving problem today. I went to lowes to get my greenhouse cover and ended up getting a greenhouse kit and tons of bulbs. I also got cover for the greenhouse.

My selves are old dough tub lids from our resturant.

Heres what I have:

3956321505_a0610c7cfb_b.jpg

3957098736_fd45bed468_b.jpg

3957100276_ab2db69707_b.jpg

Latest posts