Can I Freeze Dandelions ?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lawn at work is full of dandelions. Was a slow day today so had kennelboy pick some for Harvey. He picked much more then Harvey can eat, can I freeze them? In the past I tired to keep in fridge but they turned to mush.
I have an idea. Take a big pot of potting mix and as the dandelions turn to seed add the seed to the pot. I bet they would flourish all winter in a sunny window.. Wonder what the nosey neighbor would think of that?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Honeysuckle jelly. Hadn't thought of that. Have you looked at a recipe? I wonder how long it would take to gather and clean enough for that? That should have an interesting flavor.

My sister-in-law has asked for watermelon margarita jelly this year. I haven't found a recipe but I found a recipe for watermelon jelly and for margarita jelly. I'll combine them and see how that works. It's always fun to try something different.

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think it would take a while to pick enough but then again you could pick a little everyday until you had enough.

Watermelon margarita jelly is a new one on me. I couldn't really find the jalapeno cranberry jelly I wanted to try so I came up with my own. It came out pretty good but next time I will use more pectin.

Here is a recipe I'm thinking of trying.
http://www.sbcanning.com/2015/06/honeysuckle-jelly.html

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think it would take a while to pick enough but then again you could pick a little everyday until you had enough.

Watermelon margarita jelly is a new one on me. I couldn't really find the jalapeno cranberry jelly I wanted to try so I came up with my own. It came out pretty good but next time I will use more pectin.

Here is a recipe I'm thinking of trying.
http://www.sbcanning.com/2015/06/honeysuckle-jelly.html

They did not mention it in that recipe, but one I looked at said they snip the green part off of each flower. They just use the petals. Sound slow to me, but you have kids!!! With those dandelions I'd pick and clean some, then freeze them in a quart jar. I'd keep adding to it until I had a quart, which is what the recipe called for.

One trick I've learned when making jelly is to pre-strain through a wire mesh strainer before I put the stuff in a jelly bag. That takes out a lot of the bigger stuff. You know how slow a jelly bag can be to drip all the juice out? When I made that dandelion jelly the liquid after pre-straining just went right through, no waiting. Stuff like apples and such can still be really slow, the pulp goes right on through the wire mesh strainer but it still helps to pre-strain.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@majorcatfish is no where physically near me. Can't think he would let a field be polluted that way. When dandelions are that thick, with their tap root, nothing has a chance.

I'm not getting your point. Do you think this is responsible to allow this weed to flourish?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
@majorcatfish is no where physically near me. Can't think he would let a field be polluted that way. When dandelions are that thick, with their tap root, nothing has a chance.

I'm not getting your point. Do you think this is responsible to allow this weed to flourish?
I was just being a smart a**, or maybe a dumb a**.

Latest posts