Can i git some bean help ?

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Janet started us a whole dang slew o' bean plants from seed and woontchya know it, every dang one came up :D
Problem is, she didn't mark any of 'em as to what type they are. She planted 2 kinds (see pic) and i hadn't a clue till after i transplanted 'em all. i then asked her.."hey mababy, are dese bush or vine type?" she says, "some of each" so i says..."which is which?"..she say.."i dunno" :/ , i say " :rolleyes: "
Soooooooooooo, my question to any "beansperts" we may have in here....how do i tell which is which so i can plan on buildin whatever i may or may not have to build for 'em to grow up and produce mass quantities o' delumpschious greem beams so my grambaby can , as she says........."eatemogone" ?
:hu
Would it help if i posted a pic of each said plant ?

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, if it's a pole bean, it will sent up an arm at the top in search of a thing to climb on. A bush type will be the stumpies. I usually space my vine types at like 3 inches apart, and the stumpies at 6 inches apart.

bamagirl68

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Good luck! I planted bush limas that are now 3 foot plus! Hope they are really limas!

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:D:D I hope she planted them in different spots and not all mixed togeather....Now that would be funny.

Do you have some poles ready to go, or some kind of support when you figure out which is which? If the pole beans are in several rows, you might need some netting or fencing at the ready.

Balding Eagle

Sprout
Reaction score
Janet & Jim,
I'm in the same situation myself. It occured to me as I picked some green beans yesterday, that they might actually be some of the beans I planted to dry and make soup. -- So the bean patch is all mixed up. I suppose it will be a lot of mixed bean soup and mixed bean salad in the future. :)

Next spring I'll need to keep the plants better separated and mark them better too. Can't count on my memory to help me with this stuff any more!