Can I grow anything in between potato drills?

ChickenGrass

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi there.
I will be growing potatoes and I was wondering,
Is there anything I can grow in between the potato drills?
Thank you,
Fionn.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think you can, ChickenGrass. I have transplanted my volunteer orach in the potatoes the last few years and have set lettuce plants with them a few times. Neither of these appear on the following lists.. For sure, you can plant something in the bed following early potato harvest. I do that with Asian greens and peas.

Mother Earth News says of Potatoes: "Plant near: basil, beans, cabbage family, corn, eggplant, flax, hemp, marigolds, peas, squash"

Planet Natural says: "Bush beans and potatoes appear on many companion lists in part because the former, a flowering, fruit-producing plant, draws heavily on the phosphorus in the soil, while potatoes need a great deal of potassium."

I can't remember using beans in the potatoes but I would think that should work okay. Peas might be an even better choice but if the vines shade the potato plants, I don't think that would be so good in cloudy climates. Pole beans would also need to be widely spaced not to cast too much shade so bush beans may be a better choice. That shade issue doesn't suggest that squash would be a very good idea, either. It would be good if there was a direct benefit to both crops but that might be too much to hope for. Rather, it's more likely that one may benefit while the other isn't greatly inconvenienced.

Steve

Latest posts