Can I tease Mary?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, it isn't anything that Mary can do anything about, except move. And, once you live in the Bay Area, what kind of idiot would want to leave??!

Mary is no idiot but she sure puts up with some weather in January :p!

Now, everyone knows I've been miserable where I am with the dull sameness of it all. Hey, it could be extreme and I'd really hate it! My problem is the weather has been pretty yucky and the same the next day, and the next day, and the next . . . I gotta see the sun today! Huh!?

Mary's weather . . . well, let's pick on San Francisco since we can all find that and it is famous! January in San Fran - Ha!

Okay, there were 4 January days that the afternoon high was 64F. Not so bad - of course, the thermometer always rose above 50. Cold January weather? Yep, there were 3 mornings that the cold just crushed down on Frisco! Oh yeah! 40.

Ha :D! January and the only ice was on the crabs at Fisherman's Wharf! Average difference between the daily highs and the lows: less than 10. So, after a horrid 46 the sun would beat down on "The City by the Bay" and the citizens would suffer thru a 55 afternoon!!

Okay, Mary, I had my fun ;). Don't hit back too hard, we all know you live somewhere wonderful and besides, I'll just rewrite all these sentences, leaving the numbers exactly as they are, and just substitute July for January.

Mean lil digitS'

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve you are a big tease! Sure would love to visit San Fran in the winter and get away from these sub zero days. It is to be a balmy 20+ today!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes Carol Dee, since I'm lacking any other reasonable purpose for existence during this time of year . . .

Still, I think this will fail to be a success tease given my own miserable circumstances :rolleyes:.

It is Ground Hog's Day (link)!!!!

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
San Franciscos' weather can get strange due to fog banks and shifting ocean currents, all of it influenced by the delta. The Winters are often warmer than the summers. Mark Twain said,"The coldest winter I ever spent was the summer I was in San Francisco".

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
HaHaHa! :lol: That's why I never comment about our weather. It's almost always the same! But you have to remember that anything between 50-70 is a little cold for me. I always say I wished our weather was 10 degrees warmer. Hoodat is right, we sometimes get a dreary overcast morning but we know the sun will come out round 10:00. I daily wear a sweater especially in the summer and seldom wear shorts. Overall, we have sunny weather and on weekends you will find me driving around with my husband in his little old BMW convertible with the top down just enjoying my self. :)

Steve, I have been reading your weather post!

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well . . . if I got you to look at that - Here is Barrow, Alaska this afternoon, Mary:

I think they can be glad that if -16F is their high today, that Ground Hog's Day only comes once a year!

You can click on it to see the forecast and the current conditions in Barrow should update here but it would be nice if the little sticky noted that the 20mph wind is resulting in Windchill of -43 F!!! . . . That's one reason the internet is a wonderful place! We can see how things are in Barrow without actually going there! Thankfully . . .

Steve

Edited to Add: Papeete on Tahiti in French Polynesia! Once again, it will update but you can click on it to see other weather info :) :

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Barrow is a town of over 4,000, Wikipedia tells us.

We can't all live somewhere wonderful . . . altho' I bet living in Barrow is pretty darn interesting at times! It is above the Arctic Circle so the sun didn't rise for several weeks. Argh . Nope, the Naval Observatory doesn't even list a sunrise until January 22nd. Notice how quickly things change that far north, tho'! After all, Barrow is on its way to not having sunsets for weeks & weeks around June 21st!

Mary, you will notice that I have added a Tahiti weather sticker :cool:.

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Toasty summertime at the south pole!!! Sun just circling around the horizon...

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, do you think anyone gardens in Barrow? Perhaps at least lettuce? I wonder how warm it ever gets there.

Mary