Can I Transplant Tulips that are Sprouting Now?

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am trying to move my hyacinths and tulips from the chicken run to the yard garden. I read that November is best for planting tulips here, but just now when I went out to dig them I see they are sprouting!

Am not sure whether I should try to move them with sprouts, and if so, how should it be done?

If I leave them in the chicken run, they won't get enough sun to bloom well next spring because I have to cover them so the chickens don't scratch them up. They were pitiful this year.

Some I dug that aren't sprouted have divided and need to be separated in their new bed, so they have more room and energy for growing.

I think it's probably best to transplant them all now, but I'm worried I will sacrifice blooms next spring by so doing. It's to be warm the next few days and then get down to 30 or so Fahrenheit in the nights next week.

Also, I have a colchicum Naked Lady in the bed. Is it okay to transplant it now, too? It bloomed early in October. I realize if I transplant it now I may not see blooms next fall, but it should bloom the following autumn; right?

Thanks for your help. I hope I am not transplanting the hyacinths too late? I'm in Salt Lake City, Zone 7ish.

Clare

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I went ahead and moved everything, even though I got no responses.

Do you think I should water where I planted the tulips, hyacinths, and Naked Ladies? Or not?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think you did the right thing. The chickens would have ruined them. If it was just a little sprouting they will be fine and probably even bloom. Your zone would be good info. Here in zone 6 they are planted any time in the fall. I once was given tons of leftover bulbs from our feed store and planted then in February and they did great. Feb. is usually frozen but we had a thaw.

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

The chickens are now in that raised bed that used to contain the bulbs, having a heyday, digging up a storm. It has always been covered previously. The soil is loose from my digging up the bulbs, so they are having a blast scratching in it, and there are a lot of worms. I figure their manure will enrich the soil and after a time, I can plant in it. I'll plant oats and things they can eat. Lettuces, too. I can winter sow them on the snow in March or sow. They probably won't get big before the chickens eat the shoots, but that's okay. It will be fun for the chickens, entertainment.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chickens are fun! We let ours range in the veggie garden once everything is done. There was a big squash bug thread this past summer. They are the bane to organic gardeners. I no longer have a big problem with them and squash borers. I think that the chickens eat the overwintering larvae and keep the population down. No scientific proof of this.

seedcrazy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Catjac you make me want to go over and get some silkies from the neighbors and let them roam in my veggie garden (wish it was fenced in so I could but my dogs would get them). I HATE SQUASH BORERS!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Put up a fence around the garden, build a chicken house, fence it in. Add some hungry birds, eat their eggs! Hahahahahaha Having chickens is great fun. Every time we have a family party in the summer we make sure we have chicks hatching that day. Join our club!

Latest posts