Can i use fluorescent lights

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I didnt see any significant change in the electric bill. There are so many different variables. More lights on in the winter - dehumidifier in the summer but I couldnt see much change. As far as seeds, it holds 12 flats so depending on what you grow would determine how many plants.
I know I am being vague but I hope the info above helps.

Last summer I bought a 10 x 12 greenhouse so I am planning on starting a lot more plants and as I run out of room under the lights I will move them out to the greenhouse. I do not want to heat the greenhouse until I have to.

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Small hooks - I just drilled a small hole in the bottom of the pipe and screwed hooks into it.

Don't worry about asking too many questions. I have received a lot of help from others thru the years and I will try to help in anyway I can.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok......see if I have calculated the figures right for building one of these (It's the best homemade setup that, I believe, I've ever seen...by the way)

51 feet of PVC
4 elbows
20 "T"s

Is there anything I missed or figured wrong?

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Boggy,
I think your numbers are correct. You will probably have to buy 60 ft of pipe so even if you cut something wrong or decide to change something you will have extra. Good luck and let me know how you like the end result.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LVVCHAP said:
Boggy,
I think your numbers are correct. You will probably have to buy 60 ft of pipe so even if you cut something wrong or decide to change something you will have extra. Good luck and let me know how you like the end result.
Great.....probably gonna have to buy the items, a little along, not having drawn a paycheck since April 3, 2008.....but it's gonna "happen" before long. Will let you know how it turns out.....THANKS

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
One thing that I might add to the plant stand info would be flats that do not have holes in the bottom. Even if you dont mind water on the floor it will not be good for the lights underneath. I was just watering some plants and thought of it.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LVVCHAP said:
One thing that I might add to the plant stand info would be flats that do not have holes in the bottom. Even if you dont mind water on the floor it will not be good for the lights underneath. I was just watering some plants and thought of it.
Good thought......easily, not thought about. Maybe use double trays to be on the safe side.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
40 schedule - 1/2" PVC comes in ten foot lengths for $.98 each at Home Depot. I have no price for larger diameter pvc. I love PVC pipe. :weee

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I paid 93 each for 3/4" grey PVC conduit. Allegedly it is more UV resistant than the other stuff. I am using it for a quail hoop house. Got the frame up, just waiting for nice weather to finish the netting.

Latest posts