Can i use fluorescent lights

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
I paid 93 each for 3/4" grey PVC conduit. Allegedly it is more UV resistant than the other stuff. I am using it for a quail hoop house. Got the frame up, just waiting for nice weather to finish the netting.
Is that what that grey PVC is! I keep forgeting to ask when I go to HD. Thanks. :thumbsup

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The gray is used for conduit - (electrical) it is not pressure rated, like to hold water pressure, it is cheaper than the white PVC and will fit the white fittings. I am not sure about the UV qualities.

brandylorton

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Leds are the best one as far as the green house is concern. It will give you the best results better than even the sunlight and the other sodium lamps etc. This is just my opinion and experience. I am also using it in my garden.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LVVCHAP said:
I included another pic so that you can see a little clearer how it was made. I used 1-1/4 PVC pipe & fittings. The long horizontal pieces of pipe are 52", the short horizontal pieces are 12", and the vertical pieces are 16". I did not glue it together (you can if you want) but I found it nice to be able to take it apart to move if needed. I also mounted a power strip so you can plug all of the lights into one receptacle. Let me know if you have any questions. Last year my in laws gave a portable wardrobe with a plastic cover and it fit over the frame perfect, now I can enclose it and keep some heat inside if I need to.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/6475_p4030004.jpg
that is an awesome setup I have a simular set up but bought a pvc book case with 4 shelves I just use reg shop lights and bulbs... It works so well that I need to buy a few more shop lights as I am only using 2 shelves so far...I havent finished planting my seeds yet

brandylorton

Leafing Out
Reaction score
April Manier said:
I recommend full spectrum bulbs.
which kind of bulb the full spectrum bulbs are and where i can bring them. That will be very much helpful if you post here. I have heard about it but never used it practically.

leewald

Leafing Out
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I've never used anything BUT fluorescent lights, usually I run one 'regular' and one 'cool white' one per fixture; neither has my mother (having entered a retirement home at age 84, this is the first spring since she was young that she will *not* be starting a bunch of seeds). My mother says she tried the grow-light bulbs umpty years ago when they came out, didn't get any better results, went back to the cheap ones and has been happy with them ever since. Thus I've never used grow-lights myself except occasionally when I was given a few free. The regular ones certainly work just fine.

You do need them VERY CLOSE to the plant -- like 2-3" max above the topmost leaves. Use a cheapie shoplight fixture and hang it from chains as in LVVCHAP's photo above, that way you can adjust the light height frequently and easily.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat
'Very close' is an understatement. I just started growing from seed this year and had my lights about four feet above the trays. yikes. Seedlings grew about three inches tall before they started putting out leaves.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
we bought bulbs at Lowes the other day and they were marked Sunshine , daylight, office light, etc... so there are many different kinds of bulbs to buy...

David Harritz

Leafing Out
Reaction score
The planting that you have done that very nice I am very much happy while seen it. It is looks so beautiful which is looks like as a mini garden in the environment. It is also give you a good amount of fresh oxygen. It is also provide the gardening facility to you.

Latest posts