Can I use my Fagor pressure cooker as a pressure canner?

tryingtohaveitall

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I've been trying to find the answer on the internet and suspect it's safe, but I wanted to see if anyone here was more knowledgeable.

It's a 8 qt Fagor pressure cooker. From what I've read, the psi gets to 15, not really a lower level possible other than one site recommended leaving the steam release open for 10 min, then closing it and cooking the jars another 15 min.

Anyone? Thanks for your help!

Jo Ann

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I would not think you could use is as a caner. Pressure caning corn for instance takes at least 55 minutes at 10 pounds pressure and that is after venting steam for 10 minutes then waiting for the pressure to get to 10 pounds. (11 pounds for a gauge )

I personally would not try it. Better safe than sorry.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I tried it, I would use it at the full 15 pounds for the recommended time for the product being canned. It should be safe that way but you may not like the consistency of the final product. The danger is botulism from undercooking when canning. I believe overpressure can cause leaks while canning also, but that does not effect the safety. It just makes a mess.

My canning pressure is 11 pounds (the normal 10 pounds adjusted for altitude). I can't find 11 pound weights for my Presto canner so I have to watch the guage the entire time and constantly adjust the heat to keep it above the 11 pounds without it going too high and without it going under 11 pounds. The instructions say if it ever gets below the 11 pounds, you have to start the timing over.