Can we talk about pressure canning?

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have never pressure canned anything before. And every time I hear someone mention canning beans or squash (and the like) I cringe and think BOTULISM! :eek:

I realize people do this all the time. I have been researching pressure canning and pressure canners.

What I have read scares me even more! The ones with a guage (which would be affordable for me) are said to lose accuracy, so they should be tested at least yearly. And if you live below sea level (or is it above sea level) then your temperature isn't going to be right anyway and you will have to make adjustments. You could buy a canner with a weight on it...

It seems too complicated. Is it as tedious as these articles make out? I don't like tedious. I'd rather throw something in the freezer. On the other hand, in a catastrophic event (like hurricane Katrina, during which I was without power for nine days) all of my freezer stuff would be ruined. It would be nice to have some good old canned veggies handy.

Cassandra

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think its as complicated as all that! I was raised on all manner of home-canned foods, including meat, and never did we ever get sick on any of it. You use your common sense when it comes to pressure canning. There is a lot of information available now that we never had, and my mother just used her Ball Canning book. Each jar you open gets examined for proper color and smell. When in doubt, throw it out! Just follow proper procedure and everything should turn out fine. I'm sure someone on this forum can tell you more particulars concerning the sea level question...that has never been an issue here in the mountains. Good luck! You'll thank yourself when you see all those gleaming, colorful jars on the shelves and open a healthy, home-grown meal.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, Cassandra, it is more work than freezing, but as you say, it has it's benefits. And reading about something always sounds more complicated than actually doing it.

I had to just take the plunge myself, long ago, and I've never had a jar go bad on me. If they don't seal correctly, we just eat them right then, though they could be reprocessed.

I think that might be above a certain footage above sea level. I would just add the time recommended for the level you are at.

Beekissed mentioned checking for correct look and smell. Well, you know, we take that chance everyday with commercially canned foods.

I got quite a bit of tomato paste and sauce last year, and way too many cans were not right. The color of it was off, and/or the odor.

Also, remember the people who became ill from canned soup of a popular brand? I'm not sure anyone actually died from it, it's been too long (80's, I believe.) but it was scary.

As are vegetables like lettuce, tomatoes, and green onions, and cheeses, meat etc. making people ill, or worse. (Oh yes, and recently those little cheese puff things.)

If you think too hard, food can be scary. With that thought, just be very clean and sterile; cook the foods as they need to be, process according to directions, don't put away that which didn't seem to seal right, and note the food when you open it, just as you do cans from the store.

You might also want to not go with the more controversial foods, such as green beans. Many people can them with no problems, but why stress yourself when you are just starting out?

It's very cool to open your own salsa, rather than buying it, or tomatoes etc.

If you decide to, you can always come here, tell us what you are planning to can, and get tips from people who actually do it. But do have a really good book or 2 on canning on hand; that's what I did, since I didn't have a computer in those days! :)

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Tutter said:
(Oh yes, and recently those little cheese puff things.)
:)
omg Cheezy poofs are making people sick now? I hadn't heard that. That's what I get for not having tv. I avoid all the junk, but I miss some of the important stuff, too.

:)

I am shopping around for a pressure canner. Been looking at ebay. I saw a 4 quart one at Fred's for $20 and that might be a respectable place to start. But I couldn't find on the outside of the box how many cans it would hold. Does a 4 quart canner hold 4 quart jars (or 8 pint jars) or what?

I will check the thrift stores, too. But I'm not sure this is something i want to buy second hand. I will post back if I find one.

Cassandra

Mosquito

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
If you find a good big old canner second hand, for a good price, definitely get it! The pots don't go bad, and you can still buy replacement parts, plugs, gaskets, valves, guages, or whatever. The big ones cost a fortune. The $20 one was a canner or a cooker? a 4 quart cooker won't do much.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tutter said:
Beekissed mentioned checking for correct look and smell. actually do it.:)
Keep in mind that botulism dosen't have any smell or make food taste, or look off. The smell/color test works fine for jars with a bad seal, and have gone bad, but botulism will grow in a jar even with a good seal. The only way to avoid this is to make sure you have reached the correct pressure, and for the correct amount of time. No and's, if's, or but's.

The testing of the gauge should not be to big of a deal, and almost all canning books will expalin the sea level pressure variances. Its not rocket science.

Buy the biggest pressure canner you can afford, as it takes time, and energy expense, so do as much as you can at once.

It's defeinetly worth doing if you have access to plenty of fruits/ veggies, and can save a lot of money in the long run. Plus the opening up a can that you did up yourself is a great feeling.:)

Latest posts