can you collect figs to make jam?

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have a fig bush in the chicken run so the hens love to eat figs, I want to make fig jam but there is only a few figs ready to pick at one time, so I was wondering if I can pick the figs as they ripen and freeze them till I have enough to make jam? Please help!! :idunno

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
trunkman said:
I have a fig bush in the chicken run so the hens love to eat figs, I want to make fig jam but there is only a few figs ready to pick at one time, so I was wondering if I can pick the figs as they ripen and freeze them till I have enough to make jam? Please help!! :idunno
;) Yes you can do that or refrigerate them like I do, they keep at least a few days. I love making fig jam its quite good be sure to add a little lemon juice to it when making it really brings out all that flavor.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I froze GALLONS of figs this year to can them later. I better not sell out this year!

I just made a nice sugar syrup to pour over the figs before I froze then. Helped them keep their color. :)

jomoncon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am going though the exact same thing right now. I have a 2 year old Black jack fig, that produces HUGE, delicious figs.
Chickens-2011_07_25-138.jpg

The only problem is that I'm only getting 2-3 a day. A really want to make some fig preserves, and while researching that, I came across a site that told how to freeze figs:
http://community.southernliving.com/showthread.php?t=10156

I'm trying this right now. I peel the figs, and them quarter them. I only quarter them because these figs are so huge. My Mom never peeled her figs, but these have a pretty tough skin. My next fig variety will be something with a much smaller fig, so I can can them whole. I have almost a gallon of figs frozen and soon it will be time for me to make the preserves - maybe by this weekend. Since I haven't defrosted the figs yet, I can't say how well it will turn out, but I'm going to give it a try.

chicken stalker

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
trunkman said:
;) Yes you can do that or refrigerate them like I do, they keep at least a few days. I love making fig jam its quite good be sure to add a little lemon juice to it when making it really brings out all that flavor.
Where do you get your figs from? I can't find any around here or any trees to invest in.

chicken stalker

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
jomoncon said:
I am going though the exact same thing right now. I have a 2 year old Black jack fig, that produces HUGE, delicious figs.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/jomoncon/Posted/Chickens-2011_07_25-138.jpg

The only problem is that I'm only getting 2-3 a day. A really want to make some fig preserves, and while researching that, I came across a site that told how to freeze figs:
http://community.southernliving.com/showthread.php?t=10156

I'm trying this right now. I peel the figs, and them quarter them. I only quarter them because these figs are so huge. My Mom never peeled her figs, but these have a pretty tough skin. My next fig variety will be something with a much smaller fig, so I can can them whole. I have almost a gallon of figs frozen and soon it will be time for me to make the preserves - maybe by this weekend. Since I haven't defrosted the figs yet, I can't say how well it will turn out, but I'm going to give it a try.
WOWzer!!!!!

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
chicken stalker said:
Greenthumb18 said:
trunkman said:
Where do you get your figs from? I can't find any around here or any trees to invest in.
My fig bush came with the house when I bought it...:)

monroele

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have a big fig tree and I keep them in the refrigerator until I have enough to make jam. I love this recipe
Ingredients:

1/2 lemon unpeeled, seeded and finely chopped
1 1/2 pounds ripe figs, stems removed
2 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup walnuts

Directions:

Chopp figs to desired consistency (as soom or chunky as you like).
In a non-reactive bowl combine lemon, figs, sugar and spieces. Cover and let stand about 2 hours to draw out juice Stir the mixture occasionally to dissolve the sugar.

Transfer mixture to sauce pan. Over medium heat, bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.

When mixture reaches the consistency of jam, remove it from the heat and stir in walnuts. If using a candy thermometer to test for temperature, it should read 200 degrees F.

Pour mixture into hot, clean jars and cover tighly. Will keep about 2 months in the refrigerator.

Latest posts