Can you freeze zucchini?

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a lot of zucchini coming in and I want to save some for the winter. I know there is a recipe for dill zukes here and I already made a few zucchini breads so I was wondering if I could just freeze it. And if I can, how do I do it? Thanks!

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Do you peel and blanch it first? Do you completely dry it afterwards if you do and then freeze?

Edited to add: Does it turn mushy when it is unfrozen?

Crunchie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I wash it then shred it on my box grater, let it sit in a colander w/a few paper towels to get any extra moisture out of it, then pack it in freezer bags. I've never peeled or blanched it. I usually pack it in baggies with 2 cups each--which is the amount of shredded zucchini my favorite zucchini bread recipe makes. :p I do also use a handful of the shredded stuff here and here in soups, pasta sauces, chili, lasagane...I've never frozen it in a way that I would just steam it to eat it as a side, so I don't know how much freezing would change the texture if you wanted to use it that way?

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Shredded zucchini is best if used in baking or in soups. You can slice zucchini about 1/4 inch slices, blanch then freeze and use it as you would any vegetable. It will be a little mushy but will hold it's shape, especially if you don't over cook it after it is thawed. It is really great this way. Get then right from the garden and process immediatly. They will taste like you just picked them in the dead of winter.

:rainbow-sun

Don't ever peel zucchini if you can help it as lots of the vitamins are in the peel.I only peel if the skin is thick or looks weird from laying on the ground. Then I only take off the bad parts. This happens sometimes when I let them get too big.

Smitty's Farm

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Oh yea, don't forget about the yummy zucchini bread. :)

You can grate it and measure it out for the recipe, freeze it and make bread later.

I think I'm going to do both....make some now and freeze some to make later. :D

Latest posts