Can you grow a poinsettia plant outside?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
A professional grower told me one stray light at night even one time could upset the setting of the flower bracts. Maybe when your lively hood depends on it you take the rules to an extreme.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
one stray light at night even one time could upset the setting of the flower bracts. Maybe when your lively hood depends on it you take the rules to an extreme.
For one year, I brought the plant inside in early fall and stuck in in a cooler bedroom window. Then I locked the door, covered the bottom crack, and put up a DO NOT ENTER sign. Still, I ended up entering the room at least three times during the fall nights. I used my smallest flashlight and knew exactly where I needed to find my items.

The plants never flowered. I wondered if the moonlight into the window might have been enough light? The next year I covered the plant with a box and blankets in the same unused bedroom. I know light never hit the plant that fall, but it still failed to bloom. Nope, for me it was forgetting the plant beside the warmth of a western brick wall that did the trick. Same full moon, same starry skies, but not one second of electric lighting.

Once it gets the slightest trace of color - mine was reddening veins - it can be moved to normal light inside and still continue developing the colorful bracts.

Love, Smart Red

DebFred

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Okay. I am confused, but that is nothing new to me. She needs to keep it indoors for the winter. Then set out after all danger of frost is past. Then bring it back in in the fall. I am getting confused on the time inside. If she keeps it by a window in the winter, it will get light. Or is it just light at night that is the danger?

Sorry, I really thought I knew more about plants.....:hu

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
It needs 12 hours of dark to set the new blooms. It cannot be outside after frost. Outdoors in summer is to give it optimum growing conditions.

DebFred

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thank you Catjac.

That clears it all up for me. I printed off a copy of the site for her. I appreiciate all the help from all of you.

Deb

Latest posts