Can You ID Plant

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My sons had the idea of putting some mint plugs in the flower beds of a person they didn't like. I don't think they followed through with that, but I'm not sure.
Digging up a yucca, cutting the roots in tiny pieces and broadcasting on someone's lawn would be a fun revenge, too. Hmmm.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have spent a lot of money buying and planting yucca. Most died, a variegated one I paid over $30 3 years ago does nothing no growth no flowers. I think they are magnificent in flower, stalk goes up about 3 feet with a candelabra of flowers.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have spent a lot of money buying and planting yucca. Most died, a variegated one I paid over $30 3 years ago does nothing no growth no flowers. I think they are magnificent in flower, stalk goes up about 3 feet with a candelabra of flowers.
They are ancient plants and very slow growing. They may not bloom for a few years.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The blooms smell nice and that is the only nice thing I will ever say about yucca.

If you've ever got one of those needles in your foot, and they go right through hiking boots, you'd not like them much either. It has some sort of mild poison that inflames the spot the needle pokes you and it hurts like a bugger.

I cleared our property of them and had a pile the size of a VW Bug. They don't burn and they don't shred and you have to handle them with a rake to avoid the needles. :rant

If you like them NYboy, it's okay, I'll still be your friend. :p

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol is right. They look like full grown plants but still may take years to flower. As long as they are growing well, know that they will eventually flower and their flowering is spectacular.

Thistle is also right. These buggers are the devil to kill, nearly impossible to dig out, and dangerous to pets, children, and gardeners alike if you don't know what and where they are.

I have 'em. I like 'em. I also have some I've been mowing over for 6 years now and still they pop up should rain keep me from a timely mowing. I have some that have spread unwanted into other garden areas.

Latest posts