Can you identify this groundcover? **PIC**

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sedum grows well in a lean soil, roses don't - that could be your problem. Did you add good compost to the hole when the roses were planted? Do you feed them? I use Espoma Rosetone on my roses, it really seems to help. Improve the soil and you'll see a huge difference.

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sedum grows well in a lean soil, roses don't - that could be your problem. Did you add good compost to the hole when the roses were planted? Do you feed them? I use Espoma Rosetone on my roses, it really seems to help. Improve the soil and you'll see a huge difference.
We inherited the garden as-is from the previous homeowners, so I'm not sure what she did when she planted them, though the soil is rich and black at least 2 inches down, then it begins to get much lighter for several inches, then begins to turn to red clay/sand after that. ETA: I'm thinking potting soil, top soil, then red clay. I haven't added anything to the soil. I didn't know if I should add anything or let it alone. I also haven't begun feeding them yet. Where can I find Epsoma Rosetone?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My mother uses a type of this on her hill in the front yard. Nothing else will grow there and it has caused mass erosion. She bought a 'hybrid' version of it, so it gets clumpier and has much thicker leaves. The hybrid version also slows the growth rate so it will take longer to spread for her. I may take some pictures this spring if I see its really starting to cover the hill finally!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have many different sedums around my yard...the one you have are great for growing in a rock garden or on top of a rock wall as it will trail down the side of the wall...never have to worry about watering them...sedum is easy to keep in control I'd rip it out from the bottom of the roses top dress the roses will good compost or other soil and feed well Roses also like to be trimmed on occation look up pruning roses on line or in a book for healthy roses...

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have nothing whatsoever against sedums in general, in fact I have a variety of them myself. Sedum acre specifically however (and that photo looks rather a lot like it, to me), is a PLAGUE. Because its leaves are so eensy tiny and so brittle, and each broken-off rolled-downhill washed-by-rain blown-by-wind piece will take root and because of being tiny you won't see 'em til they're well established. They can become a real problem, both in dryish or poorish natural areas and in a person's yard and garden.

That doesn't stop some people from planting this species on purpose, and sometimes it does stay contained, but, I wouldn't bet on it.

I'm with those who suspect your problem isn't so much sedums competing with roses as indicating conditions that are poor for the rose.

If it were me I'd be highly inclined to dig the rose up, deeply and widely amend the planting hole, and put it back in. Or just get a new rose, frankly (with the same heavy amendments to planting hole) :p

Have fun,

Pat

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I practice subtractive gardening. It a type of gardening for people who live in problem areas. You intentionally plant invasive perennials and just pull out any extra stuff that gets in the way :D

So, for me, sedum is just fine.