Can you identify this groundcover? **PIC**

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I don't know what this groundcover is, but I would sure like to know. It is taking over my beds and has over taken some of my Dianthus. It seems invasive to me. The homeowners before us planted it. Can anyone tell me anything about it? Should I rip it out? I would like to anyway because of how much it is taking over. It spreads almost like a carpet, and I have ripped some out already, and that is also how I would describe it feels to rip it out. Here is a pic:

5623_new_pics_006.jpg

Also, not sure if I'm posting in the right place with this, if not please feel free to move me. :D

I just realized this needs to be in plant identification duh me :p

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No problem, I moved it for you.

It's a sedum. It will root at every leaf node. It's easy enough to rip out, so be ruthless. It should have little yellow flowers on it, but they aren't very showy.

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks Reinbeau! Yes! It does have little yellow flowers! I knew it did flower, but couldn't remember what they looked like. Thanks!

I think I will rip it out.

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
hmm on reading up more on this plant, is this something that I should take out, or should I leave it in, in place of mulch for weed control? Which would be better gardening experts? :D

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, it is a sedum, possibly Sedum acre, and will be difficult to get rid of because any eensy little leaf will root wherever it is scattered. You are right to worry about it :) and as Reinbeau says, be ruthless and thorough. And watchful because for a couple years at least it WILL turn out that little pieces have escaped the purge.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks Pat! I think this is likely the reason that my rosebush that only has one living branch for like 2 and half feet until it branches out at the top, is doing badly in that bed. ugh...DH put in on our hillside. Not happy about that. He did it before I knew it.

chickenannie

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Sedum is a great plant (if it fits with your design). It can survive drought with it's cacti-like leaves.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
chickenannie said:
Sedum is a great plant (if it fits with your design). It can survive drought with it's cacti-like leaves.
I think this is along the line of "A tomato is a weed if it's in a petunia bed." lol
This stuff would be great on a bank to stop erosion but NOT in my veggie garden!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh cool! I have this as well but didn't know what it is called.

I LOVE it since leaving bare soil means it really dries out here in Colorado. I have this stuff planted among my other flowers. It is also something the ducks wont eat so I am using it around the rocks that border my pond.

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
LOL I don't know whether to rip it out or leave it in now :lol:

It's in a flower bed. But seems to be choking out the roses. Should I leave it in and just make sure that I keep it thinned around the plants that I want to grow, or should I put wood chip mulch over it?

:hu