Can you identify this guy

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i thought it is a butterfly, my husband thinks its a moth .. anyone know what it is, i'd like to gather some info on him.
thanks!

6271_butterfly_or_moth.jpg

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
At 1st I thought it was a hawk moth. Looking at a feild guide I think it might be this one, The American Dager Moth.?!?!

8098_american20dagger20moth20acronicta20americana20acronictini20acronictinae20durham2052409_small.jpg
[/url]

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Could be one of the many humming bird moths. The wings can look similar to several species. If there are spotting or strips on the body under the wings you'll know. Usually its grey and orange. If the body is only grey and black to match the wings probably the American dager moth Carol mentioned. Did you see any colored markings on the body?

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
YES! wow, thanks so much. based on my research im going with Five-Spotted Hawkmoth. this guy totally had the orange and black stripes on his body under his wings. based on wiki i dont think he is a good guy, tomato hornworms eat holes in my ripe tomatoes right? my friend the moth has since moved on, would you have killed him or ignored him? he was bigger than my flip flop bottom, i wasnt going to get close enough!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manduca_quinquemaculata

thanks for starting my research.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
chills said:
tomato hornworms eat holes in my ripe tomatoes right?
I'm not going to try to identify the moth, but tomato hornworms do not eat the ripe tomatoes. They eat the green leaves. A tomato hornworm can do serious destruction to the green vegetation on the plant. The damage they do and their dropping smake them pretty easy to recognize once they get to a certain size. Finding them when they are babies is the challenge.

They look vicious but they will not hurt you. Hand-picking is the best control as far as I am concerned.

Latest posts