Can you see this bolder?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can share a picture of a rock. One I found and can hold in my hand. You may be surprised how I can draw parallels with blowing up rocks, prehistory, and that little rock ;).

Steve
So share! I'm sitting her wondering down what forgotten paths your mind is taking you and wondering if you use straight edges to draw parallels.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you for the interest, @Smart Red . I should have that rock in hand soon.

Richard would probably be able to resist a hijacking, especially if I don't have a picture to go with it.

Besides, @Smart Red , I may have to hold my rock hostage for caffeinated coffee suggestions ... as sleepy as I feel after making it to and from DW's dental appointment on this windy, unpleasant day.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
No coffee suggestions from me decaf or the hard stuff. I like coffee only a tad more than I like chocolate. I actually make mine as barely colored water where the suggested 1 per cup amount makes a full pot. Probably into something you could actually drink, but not know you were imbibing coffee.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_20160523_073454.jpg
Here is a pebble. The crude flaking extends completely around it and is obviously done by human hands.

Why would anyone go to this bother? It is likely a fishing weight. The stone can be bound by cords, perhaps made from stripped tree bark. These sinkers were used by Native Americans to anchor fish traps or for net fishing. Traps might have a dozen of these stones to anchor them against the current. I imagine that it was used for a net, however. The net may have been thrown long ago from a canoe or from the steep bank about 40 yards from where I found the stone.

Yes, I found it while gardening. So, where was the river from my garden? It was just about a mile away.

Explanation: when a military engineer saw this river, its waterfalls, and the boulder-strewn valley, he said that it would make an appropriate site for a city but "blasting" would help control flooding, upstream from the falls. This was about 1850 and Euro-Americans were just arriving in this country.

About 20 years later, the "father" of the city would travel down the valley to the relatively flat area and islands at the falls. He noted later that it was difficult to pass through and he had to dismount and lead his horse in some areas. This was in September of the year, if I remember right.

The falls were greatly altered. Even a ways upstream, at an early ferry crossing, you can see at low water how boulders in the river were blasted. During spring runoff, the area where the early travelers had to lead their horses must have blocked a good deal of water. Flooding upstream would have been a yearly occurrence.

That mile between the location where I found the stone and the current river is slightly higher in elevation than that garden. About 200 yards away from the garden was a small pond. The park department people decided to fill it with rock about 20 years ago. It is likely that this was the final body of water in what was a streambed, likely, one of several.

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 13753 Here is a pebble. The crude flaking extends completely around it and is obviously done by human hands.

Why would anyone go to this bother? It is likely a fishing weight. The stone can be bound by cords, perhaps made from stripped tree bark. These sinkers were used by Native Americans to anchor fish traps or for net fishing. Traps might have a dozen of these stones to anchor them against the current. I imagine that it was used for a net, however. The net may have been thrown long ago from a canoe or from the steep bank about 40 yards from where I found the stone.

Yes, I found it while gardening. So, where was the river from my garden? It was just about a mile away.

Explanation: when a military engineer saw this river, its waterfalls, and the boulder-strewn valley, he said that it would make an appropriate site for a city but "blasting" would help control flooding, upstream from the falls. This was about 1850 and Euro-Americans were just arriving in this country.

About 20 years later, the "father" of the city would travel down the valley to the relatively flat area and islands at the falls. He noted later that it was difficult to pass through and he had to dismount and lead his horse in some areas. This was in September of the year, if I remember right.

The falls were greatly altered. Even a ways upstream, at an early ferry crossing, you can see at low water how boulders in the river were blasted. During spring runoff, the area where the early travelers had to lead their horses must have blocked a good deal of water. Flooding upstream would have been a yearly occurrence.

That mile between the location where I found the stone and the current river is slightly higher in elevation than that garden. About 200 yards away from the garden was a small pond. The park department people decided to fill it with rock about 20 years ago. It is likely that this was the final body of water in what was a streambed, likely, one of several.

Steve
Cool find!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Click on the picture to enlarge it, then look at the cars tail lights up ahead on the road. Over to the right you'll see the boulder, it kind of blends into the background.
There's an orange and white sawhorse type barricade in front of it.
Are you wearing your fuchsia glasses?

Latest posts