Can you tell me what this is?

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A gentleman at my bee club gave me a cutting of this plant and I can't remember what it is! I believe he told me it was sage; the leaves do remind me of sage, but don't smell like it. The flowers are so beautiful and I'd like to know if it is a perennial or annual. I definitely want to keep it for next year! The next photo is one that I bought (can't remember where) the marker I used apparently was not a permanent one! this plant is like a vine - if that helps and I don't think it even flowered. :rolleyes:

4898_herbs_013.jpg

Leaves

4898_herbs_018.jpg

4898_herbs_023.jpg

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have several of those. In my climate, and probably in yours also, it loses a few leaves for awhile in Winter but never goes completely dormant. It flowers at intervals throughout the Spring into late Fall. It puts out short runners but is not especially invasive. I find it a well behaved plant that can take drought and needs little care. Unfortunately it has no sage smell so is of no use in cooking.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks hoodat. The guy in my bee club said the bees love this plant. I haven't seen my bees on this, but they are on the ornamental basil that is right next to it.

If we get a hard freeze, will it need protection?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think he's wrong. Neither bees nor humming birds seem interested in it. I suspect it doesn't make any nectar.