Cane plant with purple flowers?

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i think you probably hit the nail on the head with the poor soil quality. is there anything growing near it around the house that is doing well? its possible the soil is too compact there even. it looks like its right next to a drip line from the house so it should be thriving there if it gets ANY sun at all.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The plant is about two feet in front of the drip line. It get pretty decent sun for most of the day and afternoon shade. As for soil I really don't know. I have only been here a year but I can say that the two azelea bushes next to it look pretty poor as well. I did some initial investigating when I bought the house and there is like an inch of top soil and then red sulfur looking sand just sand. I will hopefully be planting it this spring but first I needed to research what will grow here.

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
heres mine growing in part shade.

picture4249.jpg

picture4250.jpg

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh wow Beefy, that Ruella looks so cute and un-aggressive in that pot! LOL

I like the way it looks like bamboo with a flower! :coolsun

Doesn't anyone have pink or white?

Ron

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
Oh wow Beefy, that Ruella looks so cute and un-aggressive in that pot! LOL

I like the way it looks like bamboo with a flower! :coolsun

Doesn't anyone have pink or white?

Ron
Does that mean I'll have to watch mine like a hawk? lol

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
yes, i was advised to put it in a pot! but from the way y'all talk it seeds i might as well turn 'er loose.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Broke,

It is less about having to 'watch it' ...because it will do what it does anyways; it is more a matter of how I described it to Obsessed:

This stand of Ruella you see here in the picture with the seating area, this area will be cleared out entirely this winter. All of it will be removed. This is part of maintaining this plant. I have it coming up everywhere, I remove it where I don't want it early on, and as the seasons creep by it replaces itself. So the stands that I do let grow get very thick, and the new stuff is spread about everywhere but is small. It is like rotating crops I guess!
So basically if you take on Ruella, it is just another job in the Garden...but it has a pretty flower!

Ron

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I still didn't find a seed pod. Do you guys got any pics. I am very interested in having this plant ans will probably propagate a few next to my neigbors fence (i am not at all fond of him). ;)

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
obsessed said:
I still didn't find a seed pod. Do you guys got any pics. I am very interested in having this plant ans will probably propagate a few next to my neigbors fence (i am not at all fond of him). ;)
Trust me Obsessed, you will not need seeds. When your seeds arrive here I will send you more than enough to Take over the World!

LOL :gig

Ron

here is a pic I posted earlier on this post, I circled some seedpods

281he2d.jpg

they will look like a hard pointed stick. When they pop open they snap loudly and shoot very hard and very fast. I have been caught in the face by one. Likely your seeds are popping earlier than you are! LOL:gig

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thats funny Ron I write on the little packet, "careful pods pop open"
I had some in my hand and by the time I got to my desk to package them up for friends here, a few popped in my hand from my body heat!

O I have Pink so when I get those seeds from you I will send you some of mine also, you will be seed rich!

Joe

Latest posts